5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 PM
masonb5

Exclamation Help Please

Hey guys i'm new to the forums and lookin to get a fox body. I have a motorcycle right now that a guy wants to trade me his 89 fox body for. I'm asking 4000 for the motorcycle and he wants to do a straight up trade. Here is what he emailed me and i'm just not sure if its worth what i'm asking for my bike. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give on what you would feel the value of this car would be. Thanks everyone.

"I have a 89 Ford Mustang with a 302ci out of a 93 GT. It is bored .030 over with hypereutectic pistons, Ford Racing cam that is .544 lift intake and exh. with ford racing roller rockers with 72 302 heads that have been milled. stock bottom end with high volume oil pump and windage tray. flow tech long tube headers with 2 1/4 exh. going back to flowmasters with no tips. no power steering, has a performer rpm intake and aluminum cobra valve covers and a holley 650 double pumper carb. it has a 5 speed out of a 96 v-6 car with a b&m shifter. the rear diff. is an 8.8 with 3.73 gears posi. south side lower and upper control arms with rear drag springs. drag lite weld racing wheels with 15x28 inch tall and 11.5 inch wide street legal M/T's. all lights and turn signals work car is 100% street legal. the fastest the car has run run is 12.68 at 105 mph with a 1.68 60ft time. pulled the front wheels on launch. just had painted 2 yrs ago but paint is not the best. has a cobra R hood with svo scoop. jegs plastic racing seats with covers to match the car with a grant steering wheel and switches for electric cooling fan, electric fuel pump and distributor shut off. CD player and speakers in front. back seat delete and battery has been moved to the right rear. auto meter 5 inch tach with shift light"
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i'm gonna say no it isnt worth it unless it is ultra clean. there are a lot of things i would be sketchy of. first off, i highly doubt it runs 12.68, 105 mph isnt a mid 12 pass, and he has 3.73 and 28" tire which is way too tall. so none of that makes sense. also '72 heads suck, unless he is mistaken. now if he made that pass nitrous... i'll believe it. but i'd have to see that happen to NOT call BS

i dont get why you would do a rebuild and not use forged pistons, flowtech headers suck, and 2 1/4" exhaust is stock.

5 speed out of a v6 has to be modified to fit in a fox, and it is rated for no torque whatsoever. south sides suck and will damage the car.

11 1/2" tire is too wide and will rub... i have no idea how it isnt rubbing being 28" tall.

so the car itself might be ok... but imo, you need new heads, new trans, new control arms, gears, tires, headers and exhaust.

you'd be better off getting a clean roller and doing a motor/trans yourself

if he threw in cash however ????? it's mostly up to you and how you like the car. is it THE car your looking for ? or just a run of the mill mustang and your tired of selling the bike ?

personally i'd pass, and i have traded my $h!t for way less than it was worth in the past for what i wanted just to get it done.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
masonb5

thanks for the reply from what i have been seeing this guy did a real cheap job building this car. The 12.68 time seems to be wishful thinking from what my friend who is into fox bodies is saying. I'm gonna pass on this car but hope to find another one soon. Once again thanks for the response.