5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
the_blue_fox

Yea I agree with the blowers and how harsh they are on ur engine. Still as nice as u make nitrous sound I want to stick to all motor. Nitrous will be a maybe in the future but for now its 100% all motor for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
well heres where i can recite the best quote ever.......
there are 2 types of racecars:
ones WITH nitrous.....
and ones who NEED nitrous

im also betting you have NEVER been in a nitrous car, but to each his own

if you are ever caught without nitrous... you need to be d!ckslapped

extra bottles are $200 brand new and you can find full bottles not more than 2 years old at swap meets for $125-ish. with 100 hp jets and 3 bottles you can make 30 FULL 1/4 mile passes. now i lived in cali, but born and raised in motown and back here again. it's pretty dam hard to find 30 races in a single evening, that are willing to ante up.

so it is there all the time but only creating high cylinder pressures for 10 seconds or so at a romp. your blower creates heat all the time and increases cylinder pressure... all the time. so to nitrous guys... blowers dont make any sense with all that harshness on a motor when you drive it waaaaay more than u race it

as far as legality ? street cops dont know squat about DOT law for 1, you keep it covered and they need a warrant to search your car, and bottom line is... they cannot prove you have not been home since you filled up your bottle/s last and DOT law **REQUIRES** that a bottle under pressure be mounted for transportation. just because the line was attached so it didnt drag on the ground is gonna be pretty hard to prove otherwise when a new feedline is like a 100 bux.

you gotta be smarter than average swine brotha !!!!
Clearly, you know nothing about living and racing legally in California.

Last edited by Doc Hawk; 12-13-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the_blue_fox
100% NA will be a maybe in the future but for now its nitrous.
fixed it for you...

go nitrous first then do an NA motor

going with a ***** to the walls NA engine is COMPLETELY different then doing a stock engine with a 100 shot...

guaranteed youll have more fun in the N2O car and (getting a bag to catch the flak here) itll be faster than a similar powered NA car due to the better low end power in a drag race.

just still dont expect a rocket-ship with E7's...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

If you've got money and are serious, I have exactly what you're looking for
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the_blue_fox
Still as nice as u make nitrous sound I want to stick to all motor.
well as stated b4....start saving ur money

"cheap" and "NA" go together like oil and water.

but 300 hp is a pretty easy goal. about any HCI combo will do that for you. make sure you go the extra mile and have it all matched. people get concerned with peak flow numbers on a dyno sheet, when they should be concerned with real world velocity.

multi angle valve jobs, smooth tapered radii in the intake ports of the heads, smooth exhaust, gasket matching ... all well worth the few bucks at the machine shop.

Last edited by nitrous_bob; 12-14-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doc Hawk
Clearly, you know nothing about living and racing legally in California.
ummmmm... clearly i JUST explained the legality and the problems with enforcing a law that is unenforcable by the pure nature of it.

didnt they make pot bars legal in frisco... then closed them all down ? thats a problem with the "language" of the law

did i not state the DOT requirement for transporting a compressed cylinder?
did i not reassure your right to prevent an "illegal search and siezure"

exactly WHAT part of that do i NOT understand ?????

when i lived in fres-burg for 5 years racing the same 5 mile strip of blackstone, in a '89 notch on skinnies, slicks and a Michigan plate standing out like a sore thumb.... nitrous guage on hood and a NMRA plate frame that said "hell yes i street race"
how many tickets do you think i got ??????

ZERO !!!

how many times u think i was pulled over????

every weekend

the only thing they ever got me for was to make me register the car with cali plates.

and what did you say about "RACING LEGALLY" ???????????????????????????

guess maybe yous needs some learnin and not me
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM
nickb

Default when you're right you are right!!!!!!

nos bob you are right, west coast cops don't know jack about dot laws, you just gotta be smarted then the average bear yogi........
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
u
when i lived in fres-burg for 5 years ...

and what did you say about "RACING LEGALLY" ???????????????????????????

guess maybe yous needs some learnin and not me
Ahh, now I see the root cause of your lack of understanding. Fresno is a completely different country than the rest of California - especially the metro areas of SoCal.Fresno is BFE. And the kooks in the Bay Area are even further removed from the rest of the US than Fresno. It sounds like it's probably been years since you were here, which even further removes you from the reality of California anti-street racing enforcement. Talking about Fresno like that represents California highlights your ignorance.

I own and operate the largest forums on the Net dedicated to the SoCal street scene, with several thousand total members. I'm not sure 5 years in the armpit of the state gives you quite the same perspective that I have.

Down in LA/OC/SD, the police have been cracking down on street racing for a decade and impounding cars is commonplace. Law enforcement is very well trained, know exactly what to look for, and frequently overstep their authority because there are no repercussions for them. You, meanwhile, have to take a day or two off to go through the court system, and may default if you don't know your way through the process or can't get a ride/get the day off work. Then, you lose your car.

As far as you not understanding what racing legally means, I won't even touch that. You seem to be blissfully ignorant and I wouldn't want to harsh your buzz.

Last edited by Doc Hawk; 12-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Well blue fox, mjr46 has already given you a pretty well detailed list of what you want to look at next. You've said you don't want spray, so bob's bickering with me is irrelevant. Stick with the below and you'll be where you want to be. In the meantime, while you are saving, you can look at weight reduction.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by mjr46
you have no real performance power making mods, time to start spending some money for 300rwhp, larger maf, larger TB, heads cam and intake and to be safe an injector and FP upgrade, that'll get you your 300 rwhp.......well ported set of gt-40 heads, worked over holley systemax intake and maybe a tfs 1 cam with all the supporting mods and have a tune worked in and 300 rwhp should be yours ......pending on price of heads and cost of parts, if you find the stuff used in good working order 1500 -2k should be your investment minus the tune

Quick Reply: any advice?