5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

custom side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
smoovpony

Exclamation custom side mirrors

hey everyone. I'm restoring an 88' fox but have decided to make the car fiit for me... I've started modifying the whole interior, moving switches around, replacing the center console with a custom carbon fiber one that has exactly what I want. As you can tell by now, I am very picky... The side mirrors are bothering me now because they are too small, are not heated and to me they don't look as nice as some of these other cars do. I know it's a mustang, but would like to install some heated mirrors, retractable, with led's and turn signals. Like on the bmw's, benz or lexus. How hard would this b? Please advise
Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Get some pics of your other mods......as for the mirrors......good luck finding something something that looks good.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Let me guess... the car has 20s or 22s on it too right? LOL. And yeah, good luck finding another mirror to look good. If you want the stuff that Lexus and Benz and BMW uses why not just buy one of those instead of trying to turn a 5.0 mustang into one of them.
Just my $.02.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:11 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

I honestly think that the mirrors are kind of dinky as well... but because of how the lower window edge goes slightly up towards the front, it'd be pretty hard to find a mirror that will go on easy. I know what you're saying about creature comforts...I plan on buying a new rearview mirror http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors.html that tells direction and dims at night. This is a simple thing that most people would never notice, but will add a nice touch in my opinion. There is also a power side mirror adjuster switch that is found in newer Ford vehicles that is nicer to use and more modern that I'm considering putting in place of the existing one (once again, will look completely stock and no one probably would even notice it) which I'd put in the same location as the stock one was. So I guess what I'm saying, is I know what you mean regarding subtle differences that can make a huge positive difference if done in a tasteful manner. I don't want to change my Fox Body, I love it the way they were made, but there's a couple minor things I'd like to do...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

good luck trying to get one to fit mr picky...

putting a modern rounded rear view on the car wont look right with the boxy sharp lines of a fox...

the mirrors are not that small... besides, its a mustang... who cares about looking at what you left in the dust hahaha
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Originally Posted by Shelty
good luck trying to get one to fit mr picky...

putting a modern rounded rear view on the car wont look right with the boxy sharp lines of a fox...

the mirrors are not that small... besides, its a mustang... who cares about looking at what you left in the dust hahaha
^^+1 and pics or GTFO. Oh and Welcome to MF.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM
smoovpony

Default side mirrors

lol.... Awesome feedback guys. Appreciate it. But, can't settle for a 'no' on the mirror modification. Since I'm having the car painted anyways, the shop plans to sand down to mold and shape to match lines etc... I don't have 20's and don't know how to upload pics for more feedback... Will keep trying. Anyways, would like to post pics of my car done. Kind of embarrassed of it now! How about dash clusters? Any new ones that would give it a different look? The original looks to damn ugly! Lol. I do love mustangs, but I think they could of done a little bit more work on looks and comfort... Then they wouldn't have someone like me change their original. Will keep trying to post pics guys, if not by may car should b ready and I would put a little more effort on doing it..lol
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I was actually wondering about this at one point because the stock side mirrors actually seem very small.

I don't mind them not being heated and I don't really like anything flashy, but sure would like something that makes spotting easier.

Maybe I'll just install a couple small cameras and run them to an LCD screen inside. Modern technology allows a way around anything
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Check this gauge cluster out...was considering getting one myself...not sure about the carbon fiber one, maybe just the black one but these loook nice in my opinion...

http://www.florida50.com/carbon-fiber---gloss.htm
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

"who cares about looking at what you left in the dust hahaha" and that was funny lol!!!

Quick Reply: custom side mirrors