5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Shopping for my first Fox!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
4literranger485

Default Shopping for my first Fox!

Hello all!

Shopping for my first fox, my budget is going to be $5k right off the bat. I'm not sure if i should try to find one around $2500-$3k and then have money left over for modifications/repairs. Or if i should look for one in better condition for around $4k-$5k and not have any money left over. Just for grins i'll link to a couple on craigslist in the lower end of my price range.

My eventual plans will be to make it a really fast street car, occasional trips to the strip, H/C/I or forced induction (not sure yet) Thanks in advance everyone!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2361944740.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...373155131.html
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

typically a 2.5k-3k car will require about 2k in repairs, where a 4.5k to 5k will only need about $500 or so.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
typically a 2.5k-3k car will require about 2k in repairs, where a 4.5k to 5k will only need about $500 or so.
Agreed, I say you look for something about 3-4k. Make sure you give it a THOROUGH once over, and test drive it!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM
4literranger485

awesome, i think i'm going to have to agree after looking at fox's in the $4k range. Any big problems or common issues i should look for? Or just look at it like a basic used car?

Thanks for the help gentlemen! I've got $2500 right now, and should have the other half within two weeks. It's going to feel like an eternity lol
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Just don't jump the gun on anything. It's easy to wanna buy the first car you see. I did that with my 'stang. I probably paid a little too much for my '68 coupe, but it's proven a relatively solid body. Regardless, I could've picked a V8 5 lug model because I decided to go V8 AFTER buying an I6 car. Mistake there...

Also, check and see if the car has seen a V8 swap, or received a trans swap from a weaker model. For example a T5 trans from a 2.8L will work behind a V8 but pretty soon it'll got ka-boom, and it won't be fun.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM
4literranger485

thanks for the heads up! I know that's gonna be hard for me, not to just buy the first fox i look at that has a shiny part on it :lol:
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

good thing for you is EVERYTHING is clean in cali.

i bought 2 out there and sold them both, honestly a $3k car in cali is like a $5k car in detroit. you just cant find rust free here.

anyways.....look for a few mods but nothing serious. you dont want chopped wiring and ghetto installs... but everything you do get is like free. it adss almost nothing to the car and saves you the labor too.

gears, headers, the rest of the exhaust, suspension, stereo stuff all good

badly installed heads, intake, smog removal ........that can get messy especially if you have to make it legit to smog it. some guys will seriously hack stuff and think nothing of it

typical fox stuff to look for is cracked floor pans and broken seat mounts, the ashtray door most likely doesnt work, the armrest is usually broken, make sure all the electronics work...just cuz it's hot doesnt mean you dont wanna check the heat or look for a bypassed heater core. thats an $800 job alone

get a cdl book and basically do a "walkaround" inspection when you get a chance. it will give you a checklist and yes most of it is irrelevant but all the major components are covered.

good luck

i sold this for $3k when i moved in 2005, and bought the one in my sig for $5000

Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
good thing for you is EVERYTHING is clean in cali.

i bought 2 out there and sold them both, honestly a $3k car in cali is like a $5k car in detroit. you just cant find rust free here.

anyways.....look for a few mods but nothing serious. you dont want chopped wiring and ghetto installs... but everything you do get is like free. it adss almost nothing to the car and saves you the labor too.

gears, headers, the rest of the exhaust, suspension, stereo stuff all good

badly installed heads, intake, smog removal ........that can get messy especially if you have to make it legit to smog it. some guys will seriously hack stuff and think nothing of it

typical fox stuff to look for is cracked floor pans and broken seat mounts, the ashtray door most likely doesnt work, the armrest is usually broken, make sure all the electronics work...just cuz it's hot doesnt mean you dont wanna check the heat or look for a bypassed heater core. thats an $800 job alone

get a cdl book and basically do a "walkaround" inspection when you get a chance. it will give you a checklist and yes most of it is irrelevant but all the major components are covered.

good luck

i sold this for $3k when i moved in 2005, and bought the one in my sig for $5000

Well sad...anyway the convert for $3k looked nice I might have bought that one !
Old 05-14-2011, 05:21 PM
4literranger485

I'm gonna go take a look at this one tomorrow, bone stock, but only 80k on the odo! Front bumper needs paint, the rest looks pretty good in pics/vids. Anyone have any thoughts? or must-check items for me? Hoping to talk down to $2500, listed at $3k. thanks again guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0YLMJKHZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBxkMsKO1o&NR=1
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM
4literranger485

forgot the c/l ad that i found it in:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...376318235.html

Quick Reply: Shopping for my first Fox!