5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Notch Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Well the upper area looks good....

However the lower's ......SUM BITCH:

Got these babies on the way :
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Well the upper area looks good....

However the lower's ......SUM BITCH:

Got these babies on the way :
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
StangLife
Former Sponsor

I used the same wild rides kit on my lowers. I didn't weld them in but they fit perfectly and felt substantial. I didn't use the parts for the uppers - I don't have upper control arms.

http://93coupe.com/maximum-motorspor...-control-arms/
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

So the UPS truck showed up yesterday....and I received a nice surprise!

I had purchased the Wild Rides Battle boxes (just the lowers) for $50 with free shipping.
Well I opened up the box and to my surprise:

They sent me the whole dang thing. Either someone screwed up and I got lucky.....or someone screwed up and I got lucky LOL....

Rewind to Thursday morning. I get up, do my normal before work routine. Fired the coupe up, let it warm up and head to work. I drive for about 10 min and stop at 7-eleven to get some coffee. I shut the car off, go get my coffee. Come back out and go to start the car and I get a couple of turn over's, and then the dreaded click click click. I've heard that when you put long tubes in, it drastically shortens the stock style starter....well I think that is what has happened. So I FINALLY after sitting for 20 min (cool down) I was able to get it fired back up. Drove up to work. Car sat for 6 hours.....fired right up and I drove home. Well the car was in the garage, and my two little ones like riding their bikes, playing in the garage, so I decided to move the car out of the way. So I did...around an hour later the better half decides she wants to go to dinner, I go to pull the car back in ...and once again...NOTHING....click click click....WTF!!!!So I jump it with mama's truck. got it fired...started a little investigating...battery 12.65 volts....alternator putting out 14.02 volts when running....hmmmmmm. So I take the car down to Vato Zone and leave it running get them just to clarify what I already know...battery checks out ok, and the alternator is in fact charging....well made the mistake of shutting the car off to check the battery (which was a mistake) ended up killing the car....oh and did I mention it's 9:00 and they are fixing to close....not a great part of town.....can't push start it because the way the car was parked....just a ****ty all around position.....so this happened:

Got her home and put in the garage....and now I'm doing this:

Going to a mini starter (92-95 style Mustang starter) gear reduction and all.
When I pulled my old beat to **** stock one out, you could smell it was burnt.
So that's my project for today....
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Short clip of my ****box

Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Torque box upgrade day/night!!
Just to those who are thinking about doing this....the lowers are a piece of cake. As long as you remember that you can lower and raise the diff in order to gain you clearance, for drilling your holes (for the uppers). The upper's are a pain in the ***...and I suggest taking breaks when you get to a point that creates a challenge...I was at the point of throwing tools.

Zipped the tires off and got to it:

Torque box:

Removed lower control arm fwd mounting bolt (torque box reinforcement ties in with lower control arm)

Feeding the torque box reinforcment box inside the box:

Plate is in place. This is looking up.Control arm hardware"Snugged" down. The four holes in the box , get drilled through the bottom of the seat pan (back seat) and a plate is installed inside the car. Basically sandwiching the floor pan.

Two of the 4 holes drilled and snugged up:

Top plate. They want you to drill the holes from the bottom, however the actual torque box framing is in the way, So I drilled the two that I had access to, and then back drilled the other's. The top plates are location specific, so you shouldn't have a problem, once you locate the two.

Bottom view:

Wild rides recommends welding the top plate, so I wire wheel'd the surrounding perimeter of the plate in prep for the welding:

Installed:

Upper torque box....(pain in the ***)Upper control arms removed

Interior plates:

Final install:

Few notes, make sure you have different size drills, in order to get in those hard to drill spots. I had both air, electric (battery) and corded drills, that accepted 1/2 drill bits. Make sure you get good decent drill bits. 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2. Have a lot of patience. Since driving the car, I've noticed it feels a lot "TIGHTER", it's not as squirrely when getting deep into the throttle. All in all, it was worth the cussing, screaming and of course...ice cold beer afterwards.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Installed these Flo-fits today....have had them for over a year in my attic. Finally dragged them out and installed them:

Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
StangLife
Former Sponsor

Those seats look at home in there!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangLife
Those seats look at home in there!

you know this
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Whelp....have a friendly score to settle between me and my good buddy and his SVO....guess I should blow the dust of these and get em mounted:

Quick Reply: My Notch Build