5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Let the fun begin.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 AM
vonmosher455

Default Let the fun begin.

OK here is the scoop i have an 88 GT Vert. It only has 55,000 miles and the body is in good shape, interior is ok. The mods on the engine consist of headers (don't know which kind yet.) Paxton Super Charger(old one),and from what i can tell or have been told every thing else is stock. The person who i purchased the car from gave me some other pars that he wasn't able to install yet. He also had 3.73 gears installed by his mechanic,and the Previous owner also had his mechanic install a short throw shiftier (Hurst). The Fox body is a blast to drive and i want to make it better. I am going to start by improving the rear suspension first. Then the Front suspension along with the brakes and upgrade to five lug also in process. Hopefully most of it this winter, the AZ winters are short so we will see how much i can get done.For the rest of the summer i will just drive her and have some fun.
I do pose a question though, in the near future i want to upgrade the engine. Right know i cant see needing more power but im sure once i get used to it, I will crave more. Once my old as* heart gets used to it.
I thought of going one of three ways add h/c/i to the already existing power plant. which I might do any way. But I do have a 92 work van with a 351W in it. and i am going to retire it at the end of next year or sooner for newer one. cant trade it in, no trade in value in the old girl.Not that i am a 351W fan but I already have access to it.
Would like to have a motor that im working on while im still driving the car and have it ready to drop in, sort of. Or sell the the van intact and maybe cover half the cost of a dart block. with the 351W there is the extra weight but wouldn't relocating the battery in the trunk and a new lighter K member with tubular A arms. off set the difference? Not trying to come off as an Id10t just trying to get a clear direction. any advice would be great. wow i haven't wrote this much since i was in high school and that's been 270 some moons ago. Sorry for the long post. Just a little enthusiastic.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Your right on target about the weight distribution with the 351. Relocating the battery, tubular k member and arms will help. A H/C/I 351 is a good route and you already have the base for that. However (I dont know for sure), you may lose blower efficiency with the added cubes and and intake volume if you put the blower on the 351. I know my friend did with his turbo when he went from a 342 to a 408. Sounds like a fun build. I live in AZ too, and cannot wait for fall.