5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

current vs potential set up

Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
UC86gt

Default current vs potential set up

hey guys, long time reader but this is my first post.

currently my motor has an e303, gt40ps, and a cobra u/l intake. it put down about 250 to the wheels, but i'm wanting more out of the engine. I talked to the guy who's going to do my motor and he said he's going to match the intakes, port the lower, match the lower to the heads, and do a port and polish on the heads with bigger valves and a 5 angle valve job. i'm also trading out the cam for a lunati. he said he doesn't remember what the name of it is, but the lift is right around .520". I've already committed to the idea instead of doing aluminum heads because i'm not going to be at the track very often and i'd like to keep the car looking as stock as possible. has anyone run this combination before? and does anyone have an idea of how much horsepower it should put down? i'm hoping for ~290-300 and mids 12's in the quarter. thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i would go for a better cam than that, seems pretty conservative but post the rest of the info on it if you can get it. with a good cam and some ported gt40 goodies i dont see you having any problems getting to your goals.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
UC86gt

i think, but am not positive, that it's this cam

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-51023/

it matches the specs he was talking about so it will at least be something similar.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 AM
UC86gt

I made a post before and it said it didn't show, i'm fairly certain this is the cam.

Lunati 51023

Basic Operating RPM Range 1,800-5,600
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 215
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift 215 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 268
Advertised Exhaust Duration 279
Advertised Duration 268 int./279 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.522 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.522 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.522 int./0.522 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 108
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

it looks to be just a tad better than the ecam. how much is he selling it for? i think you would benefit more from a different cam imo. but then again, i've been out of the pushrod game for a while so i dunno.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UC86gt
hey guys, long time reader but this is my first post.

currently my motor has an e303, gt40ps, and a cobra u/l intake. it put down about 250 to the wheels, but i'm wanting more out of the engine. I talked to the guy who's going to do my motor and he said he's going to match the intakes, port the lower, match the lower to the heads, and do a port and polish on the heads with bigger valves and a 5 angle valve job. i'm also trading out the cam for a lunati. he said he doesn't remember what the name of it is, but the lift is right around .520". I've already committed to the idea instead of doing aluminum heads because i'm not going to be at the track very often and i'd like to keep the car looking as stock as possible. has anyone run this combination before? and does anyone have an idea of how much horsepower it should put down? i'm hoping for ~290-300 and mids 12's in the quarter. thanks
With all due respect, this sounds like a lot of effort and a significant amount of money (since you're paying someone to do it) and it'll still make less power than a TFS top end kit. I would not recommend having this work done.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
UC86gt

it should end up costing me significantly less than the trick flow top end kit. quote for all the work was around $1100 and I'm hoping I can match or surpass the trick flow kit. I was thinking about the twisted wedges but he suggested getting work done on the p's because it will be more fun to drive on the street. I also really like the idea of looking stock for whatever intangible reason, so aluminum heads and a trick flow intake take away from that.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

he suggested getting work done on the p's because it will be more fun to drive on the street.
he suggested such because he makes money on doing the work, end of discussion, the more fun to drive on the street is pure bullshyt......I've done plenty of tfs kit combos that walk circles around p headed stuff.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 PM
UC86gt

Originally Posted by mjr46
he suggested such because he makes money on doing the work, end of discussion, the more fun to drive on the street is pure bullshyt......I've done plenty of tfs kit combos that walk circles around p headed stuff.
I thought about that but he's a family friend who used to build my uncles stock car motors, and he has a 95 cobra that runs 10s with the original heads and intake and with the lunati cam that he suggested. If I went aluminum he knows I would have given them to him to get a little work done on too, so it's not about the labor.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

he has a 95 cobra that runs 10s with the original heads and intake and with the lunati cam that he suggested. .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: current vs potential set up