5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

wanting to build stroker need help with set up and choosing parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default wanting to build stroker need help with set up and choosing parts

i have a 92 ford mustang with a 302 ho in it. i need some more power so im thinking of going with a 347 stroker, its going to be a street car and i want it to be fairly badass. i want to put aluminum heads on it and im going to want to get the heads ported and polished along with the intake. i would like sugestions on what size heads i should get along with cam and all that good stuff. i would someday like to put a blower or turbo on it so i would like to keep flat top pistons in it and keep around a 10:1 or 9:1 compression ratio with it. after all that i would like to get a rough estimate on how much hp i will have so i can get a good kit rated for that. last i would like to know about the clearance issues that i have heard about with the crank and block. i would also like to hear about their reputation and about the whole oil burning and ring situation. i have been thinking about maybe a 331 if theres to much horse power so i could get a kit that wasnt as strong but i do know i get what i pay for but i would like to try to keep the cost down i just want to know your suggestions because this is my first stroker and need some advice.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The deal with the oil problems were solved years ago.
From what you make it sound like plan on spending about $7-8000.
Find Coast High Performance in a search engine, they make/sell very good parts.......
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 AM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

From what I was told, you won't have a problem with the oil with a blower on these engines even with a stroker kit and cams and heads. I wouldn't put a turbo on that mustang due to the fact that the RPM's won't get that high compared to an rx-7 GTU or something in that field. BUT I might be a bit off in that department. Don't forget about your suspension and gear ratio and tire size. All of that is part of the factions. Oh and are you keeping the t-5 5 speed? I would go with a t-56 6 speed if you can afford a 4,000 trans. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Would like to keep the t5 as long as I can and Im going to doing the work myself and I found some reman aluminum heads for 700 and it's going to be carb and I'm not going to put the supercharger on now I'm thinking maybe in a couple years. I want to either buy a 1600 dollar kit on summit made by scat that is all forged with h beam rods for up to 750 hp or a a 1100 dollar one from summit made by eagle with I beam rods and a steel cast crank that is for 500 hp. I was thinking that if 347 may push over 500 I was thinkin maybe a 331 but idk the kit from scat is sounding the best right now but I really don't want to get over 1300 In the rotating kit. I would really like to find out what kind of horse power I'm probably looking to make with out a s/c then what I'd make with it
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd also recommend Coast High for a stroker. Good guys to work with and high quality kits. A well built 347 would probably make 500hp, but I'd guess you're looking at 400ish. That's just assuming, idk how many engines you've built
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

first off, if you plan to s/c it on top of stroking it, you better start with a good foundation and that does not include a factory production roller block........and if you plan to use a stock block, either stroke it or s/c it, not both together.....the block will part ways with you and all your hard earned money......if you use a stock block don't waste money on h-beams or forged crank, cast steel crank and I beams will hold up well past the blocks ability
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'm making well over 500HP on a cast crank and I beam rods, no problems so far.....
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

okay my one friend has a 331 and said hes either pushing around 600 or 650, but he drag races with it to and has a stock 302 block. im not looking to make anything that crazy im just fine with 450 to 550 but it would be neat to have a s/c do you think it may be possible if i make it just a 331?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I'd also recommend Coast High for a stroker. Good guys to work with and high quality kits. A well built 347 would probably make 500hp, but I'd guess you're looking at 400ish. That's just assuming, idk how many engines you've built
ive built a couple but they were all stock or mild motors but not a stroker. im only lookikng to make 450 to550
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Another thing about the stroker kits.
Unless you are buying both tha balancer and the flexplat/flywheel from them, don't let them sucker you in with 'free balancing'offers.
They CANNOT balance the rotating assembly unless they have these parts.
My balancing cost about $175 to have done locally by a reputable shop....

Quick Reply: wanting to build stroker need help with set up and choosing parts