5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0, 5.0 second 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 PM
BarneyPenny

Default 5.0, 5.0 second 0-60?

I recently picked up a 5.0 convertible that needs a mild restoration. I plan on getting it back to stock and running good with a solid interior, before I do any performance modifications. I'm trying to build a nice, quick car that's reliable, but nothing too crazy.

My current plan is to put on an explorer upper and lower intake manifold, bigger intake arm with K&N filter, long tube headers (a set came with the car, otherwise I'd run short) aluminum cylinder head, and possibly a B303 camshaft if I can get it to idle right. I've been told there's already an aftermarket cat-back setup on the car atm, but I haven't gotten around to checking the specifics. I will never take it to the track so idc about 1/4 times, but for street driving in the 0-60 can I expected around 5 seconds? I figure I should be able to have some fun in the street with a time like that. If not, what would I need to do? Given my tuning experience and budget, forced induction isn't really possible, and I do not want to run a NOS setup.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What year exactly? What transmission type?

You'll need to drop some weight and get performance mods to get there.

An auto will be significantly slower than a manual in that year range.
A convertible is already losing in the weight department as it's couple hundred lbs more than a plain coupe.

A set of 373 or 410 gears will definitely help either way.
Drop the body kit if it has one,

Drop the solid front K Member and get a tubular one.

There are other suggestions but it will be based on the year you have.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

But maybe more importantly, what's your budget for this project ? Your goals are very reasonable but we'll ty to get you there with the least amount of money..........if that's important to you ??? lol

Are you going to be turning the wrenches, or send it out for that ?

Should be a fun project.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM
BarneyPenny

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
+1 ^^^

But maybe more importantly, what's your budget for this project ? Your goals are very reasonable but we'll ty to get you there with the least amount of money..........if that's important to you ??? lol

Should be a fun project.

Sorry about my lack of detail, it's a '89 (foxbody) 5.0. So it has fuel injection and is the first year to have MAF.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM
BarneyPenny

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
+1 ^^^

Should be a fun project.
I don't have a specific budget for the project, however I'd like to stay within the value of the car. I'd like to be able to recoup most, if not all of my money in a few years. I will be doing all the work on it myself. All of that being said, I am just 17, however my father has decades of experience with mustangs, so I can tap into his knowledge a bit for help where needed. Additionally, we have a lifetime worth of 302 parts laying around the garage.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:27 AM
BarneyPenny

Originally Posted by Derf00
What year exactly? What transmission type?

You'll need to drop some weight and get performance mods to get there.

An auto will be significantly slower than a manual in that year range.
A convertible is already losing in the weight department as it's couple hundred lbs more than a plain coupe.

A set of 373 or 410 gears will definitely help either way.
Drop the body kit if it has one,

Drop the solid front K Member and get a tubular one.

There are other suggestions but it will be based on the year you have.
The mustang is an '89 factory fuel injected, and the first year with MAF. It's an auto 3 speed +1 overdrive. As far as performance mods and weight reduction go, I'm happy to drop weight, however, there is a lifetime worth of 302 performance parts in my father's garage that he is selling to me for very reasonable prices, so performance mods aren't much of an issue.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
elDuderino

5.0 second 0-60? Drop top is gonna kill you first off.

First start with the chassis. K-member kit, coil overs, performance struts & shocks, CC plates, sub-frame connectors, uppers & lowers, and some sticky tires.

Build the rear end, 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 gears, a good differential (eaton, detroit Tru-trac, etc.) 31 spline axles if you are going to run slicks on a prepped surface.

More Power! Heads, cam, intake manifold or a power adder. Or all of it.

Weight loss! Ditch the steel hood for fiberglass or carbon, rear seat delete, etc...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM
BarneyPenny

Originally Posted by elDuderino
5.0 second 0-60? Drop top is gonna kill you first off.

First start with the chassis. K-member kit, coil overs, performance struts & shocks, CC plates, sub-frame connectors, uppers & lowers, and some sticky tires.

Build the rear end, 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 gears, a good differential (eaton, detroit Tru-trac, etc.) 31 spline axles if you are going to run slicks on a prepped surface.

More Power! Heads, cam, intake manifold or a power adder. Or all of it.

Weight loss! Ditch the steel hood for fiberglass or carbon, rear seat delete, etc...
My current plan was 3.58 (I believe it's 58 might be 53) gears because that's what I have here, heads, headers, exhaust, intake manifold, subframe, and fiberglass hood. That's what I was planning on, in addition to some revamping of the suspension. How helpful or necessary is k-member?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM
elDuderino

3.55 is the common 8.8" differential gear size, not 3.58 or 3.53.
Most K-members will drop at least 50lbs from the front of your car. They also give you a lot more room to install headers and do other maintenance that the stock K-member makes difficult.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:36 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

After rereading your first post, the first thing I'd do is a gear swap. 3:55s are a good gear, but if all your looking for fun, quick street car, get a set of 4:10s for it as the verts are a bit heavier, and because of the automatic transmission doesn't help much either. Shift kit for the tranny also.....

The gear swap will help the car much more than any bolt on mod you have on the shelf. It'll feel like you added 100 HP. Best bang for the buck mod you can do right now. Then start with the bolt on parts.

No need to start throwing a ton of money at this car if your really only looking for a fun, quick street car.