5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Air bag code

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Razzoo

Default Air bag code

Took my '93 LX out last night for the first time and on the way home I saw an air bag error code of 51. I still haven't received my shop manual so can anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks!
Razzoo
Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry I can't help but I did a quick Google search for " Mustang airbag code 51" and it gave me a thread from another forum that covers this. It doesn't sound good though.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Razzoo

I too Googled it and you're right, it ain't good. My bargain priced Mustang isn't such a great bargain.

Later!
Razzoo
Old 05-11-2017, 03:00 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It's still a bargain, it just means your airbags won't deploy in a crash lol.

Just like my car......

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 05-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Razzoo

I can live with that. Maybe if it ever stops raining, I'll take Sally out of the garage and look for the short where it goes through the firewall. The location of the sir bag light is so far down behind the column, I can barely see it so it blink all it wants. Won't bother me.

I had a '62 Impala last century that had some light on the dash that never went out and it didn't have anything to do with the running of the car so I put black tape over it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Later!
Razzoo
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

The diagnostic monitor contains an internal thermal fuse that is not serviceable. The thermal fuse is controlled by the diagnostic monitor. The diagnostic monitor will blow the thermal fuse whenever a short on the deployment circuits occurs. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.
- DO NOT install a new diagnostic monitor until the short has been located and corrected. If a short to ground has not been located and corrected, then the short to ground is Intermittent and IS NOT PRESENT AT THIS TIME. Installing a new diagnostic monitor with an intermittent short in the system will result in repeat blown diagnostic monitors and repeat service.

The diagnostic monitor measures the voltages at the diagnostic monitor connector pins. When certain air bag deployment wires are shorted to ground (heavy lines illustrated in the schematic below), the system may become susceptible to unwanted deployment of the air bag(s). The diagnostic monitor senses a short to ground on any of these circuits and helps prevent unwanted air bag deployment by blowing the diagnostic monitor thermal fuse. Blowing this fuse removes all power (battery and back-up power) from the air bag deployment circuits. While the short to ground exists, the monitor will flash Diagnostic Trouble Code 13. If the short to ground is intermittent and temporarily corrects itself, the diagnostic monitor will flash Diagnostic Trouble Code 51.

NOTE: If the short to ground returns, the higher priority Diagnostic Trouble Code 13 will flash instead of 51.

If the air bag indicator is flashing Diagnostic Trouble Code 51 and a short to ground has not been serviced, this means that an intermittent short to ground exists in the air bag system. The diagnostic monitor should be replaced only after service to the intermittent short has been completed.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Code 51 After Air Bag Deployment

NOTE: Diagnostic monitors can withstand several air bag deployments and do not need to be replaced after every deployment. Only replace the diagnostic monitor if it is damaged.

Occasionally, after an air bag deploys, the internal wiring of the air bag(s) may become shorted to the metal housings of the air bag(s). This internal air bag short is detected by the diagnostic monitor as short to ground in the air bag deployment wiring. Since the diagnostic monitor is still operating immediately after most deployments, the monitor will detect the shorted wiring and will flash Diagnostic Trouble Code 13 and blow the internal thermal fuse. After the deployment, as the air bag(s) cool off, the internal shorted wiring may correct itself, therefore the short to ground will no longer exist and the diagnostic monitor will flash Diagnostic Trouble Code 51. If a vehicle with a deployed air bag is flashing Diagnostic Trouble Code 51, inspect and replace all the damaged areas of the vehicle with crushed wiring, sensors, etc. If no damage is found, assume that the deployed air bag was the cause for the intermittent short and replace the diagnostic monitor when the new air bag(s) are installed.

After a short to ground has been corrected, the diagnostic monitor will flash out Diagnostic Trouble Code 51. Diagnostic Trouble Code 51 indicates that the fuse inside the diagnostic monitor is blown and the short to ground no longer exists.

If a short to ground has not been located and serviced (short to ground corrected itself), consult OASIS for potential wiring shorts.

If a short to ground has been correctly located and serviced then replace the diagnostic monitor.

DO NOT replace diagnostic monitor until the short to ground has been positively located and serviced. Replacing diagnostic monitor before servicing a short to ground will result in repeat servicing.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Razzoo

Thanks!