5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 new comer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Jreefer6

Default 5.0 new comer

Alright so I bought 94 mustang GT 5.0 did tune up new plugs wires distributor cap coil pack oil change. Was told rear end are the 373 gears how to check was told cam was done .I think car is stock . Where should I start to make my car a beast . About to do oil change again and rear end fluids
Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 PM
Jreefer6

Also have a egr code how to delete egr and the smog
Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Getting rid of the EGR and smog equipment is pretty straight forward and there are plenty of articles describing what needs to be done. But unless you also have the car chipped and tuned your goin to have a code present for the EGR and smog stuff. To check to be sure you have 3.73 gears, raise the rear end so both wheels are off the ground. Mark a line on one of the tires, and a mark on the rear pinion. Place the trans mission in Neutral. Rotate the wheel one full turn and count the number of turns the pinion makes. A 3.73 gear set will rotate the pinion 3 3/4 times, or really really close to it for every 1 rotation of the tire. A 3.08 gear set will rotate the pinion really really close just over 3 turns.

Since your car has a gear upgrade, and a cam, the next step would be to decide how much extra power you want to get. A decent set of long tube headers and a good cat back with after market H or X pipe would be a good starting point and would lend more to a head and intake swap later on.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Jreefer6

Thanks. Car has h pipes already with magaflow in the rear pretty sure stock headers. And I want to get what power I can but still have a long lasting car. Where would I start from.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Go with heads and an intake if you want to really wake it up, or just a turbo........

If you have a cam you should be able to tell by the way it idles, in fact these cars barely run with aftermarket cams without a tune due to the computer getting all ****ed up stock.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Jreefer6

What will be the better head's to use found so used cobra head's for sale and are longtubes headers better or short ones thanks
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Getting rid of the EGR and smog equipment is pretty straight forward and there are plenty of articles describing what needs to be done. But unless you also have the car chipped and tuned your goin to have a code present for the EGR and smog stuff. To check to be sure you have 3.73 gears, raise the rear end so both wheels are off the ground. Mark a line on one of the tires, and a mark on the rear pinion. Place the trans mission in Neutral. Rotate the wheel one full turn and count the number of turns the pinion makes. A 3.73 gear set will rotate the pinion 3 3/4 times, or really really close to it for every 1 rotation of the tire. A 3.08 gear set will rotate the pinion really really close just over 3 turns.

Since your car has a gear upgrade, and a cam, the next step would be to decide how much extra power you want to get. A decent set of long tube headers and a good cat back with after market H or X pipe would be a good starting point and would lend more to a head and intake swap later on.
On the EGR: PCM only measures HOW FAR the EGR valve moves to determine the valve is not jamming from being crudded up. it DOES NOT know whether any exhaust gas is flowing through the EGR valve. Therefore, if you PLUG the pipe leading up to the EGR valve, you will have defeated Exhaust Gas Recirculation, without throwing a Check Engine light.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Cobra heads are a definite improvement over the stock e7's, if you get them ported they will flow almost as well if not as well as a lot of the aftermarket ones out there. Of course at that point you could probably find a set of used aluminum heads for around the same price. Long tubes are better for flow but I've heard they are a bitch to install. Imp is correct, if you remove your smog stuff you'll need to tune it or get into the computer to "turn off" the egr stuff.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Jreefer6

Getting codes 111,133,233,172,171,332.
Did both o2 new plugs wires distributor and cap and coil and coil, air filter have fuel filter and fluid to do rear end. Doing rear end to check gears.
What to look for. found vac leak and fixed. What problems to look for new to mustangs. What fuel pressure is at ideal.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jreefer6
Getting codes 111,133,233,172,171,332.
Did both o2 new plugs wires distributor and cap and coil and coil, air filter have fuel filter and fluid to do rear end. Doing rear end to check gears.
What to look for. found vac leak and fixed. What problems to look for new to mustangs. What fuel pressure is at ideal.
Key on/engine off= 35-45psi
Key on/engine running= 30-40psi

Quick Reply: 5.0 new comer