Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

6th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 PM
DmitriK

Originally Posted by rumtillidie
I got my 2017 GT manual 3 weeks ago, I don't hear any sounds like that! The only sound I hear is changing gears 1-2-3-4 making thump sound when I put it in gear do you hear that also?
Yes, I get the same faint "thump"
Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If it's in a number of vehicles ford will eventually issue a TSB to adjust a plate that's banging around or tighten a bolt that's been left loose, or whatever the problem is.

However, don't wait for them to do that. It can take years for Ford to get enough complaints to compile data and possibly issue a TSB.

Take it to your dealer and have them document your complaint in their system and OASIS. This does two things, starts a paper trail in case something fails in or out of warranty so that Ford can fix it once the problem is found (and most likely at no cost to you since it's been documented) and secondly, allows FoMoCo to compile data for a possible, solution either via a TSB or a recall.

Don't let them just tell you, oh we can't duplicate it and let you walk out. Get it printed on one of their invoices and verify they are putting into OASIS as well.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Wotfun

DmitriK, sorry for the severely delayed response. The only recording tool I have is my phone. I did try to record the noise, but the phone didn't pick it up.

I have paid closer attention to speed and rpms when the noise occurs. Previously, I had only noticed it in 6th gear, around 1800 rpms. Now I've realized it also happens in 5th gear, at about the same rpms. It would probably happen in other gears too, if the rpms stayed around 1800. But, 1st - 4th gears are pretty low and I rarely drive around in those gears for very long.

It seems to me the sound is consistently noticeable when cruising along - not accelerating - with rpms about 1800, regardless of speed. I'm not even sure I'd describe it as metallic. It's more like there's an extra sound mixed in with exhaust burbling. But the extra sound doesn't fit in. It's hard to describe. It just doesn't sound right.

The cars performs great. During acceleration, it's exactly what I expected. It just has that odd sound mixed in with the otherwise awesome exhaust note.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 PM
DmitriK

It's possible our problems and perception of the thump are different. Mine happens in any gear at any RPM specifically when I shift the gears and do not match the RPM with accelerator. When I release the clutch slowly without accelerator, I get a thump right at the moment the gears are engaged, which based on my understanding is a normal trany behavior with the exception that none of other vehicle I ever drove with a manual transmission ever exhibited this "thump"
Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Erik Harmon

I got my 2017 GT manual 3 weeks ago, I don't hear any sounds like that! The only sound I hear is changing gears 1-2-3-4 making thump sound when I put it in gear do you hear that also?
Got mine three weeks ago, and notice the same thing. Mostly when I am sitting at a light for a bit, and I put it in first.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM
TXGT007

Same here.

It's a Ford, just enjoy it. QC would have caught it. I highly doubt anything serious. Mine does it too. This ain't no Lexus.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:42 PM
bigdelta

I get a very slight thunk going from Neutral to 1st but that can be alleviated by moving the shifter toward 2nd and then engaging 1st. Mine is 4 weeks old. Mine is also a PP.

Last edited by bigdelta; 10-27-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:45 PM
paulst2419

My Roush exhaust prevents me from hearing anything. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:36 AM
TXGT007

Originally Posted by bigdelta
I get a very slight thunk going from Neutral to 1st but that can be alleviated by moving the shifter toward 2nd and then engaging 1st. Mine is 4 weeks old. Mine is also a PP.
Thunk seems to be improving with more mileage and as the trans and engine warms up.

Originally Posted by paulst2419
My Roush exhaust prevents me from hearing anything. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
LoL