Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Looking for upgrade paths

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Thomas Andrews

Default Looking for upgrade paths

I am looking to see what upgrades I should be getting for my '15 auto GT. I am coming from a STi. Sadly this pony only gets slightly better speeds than that did due to its weight.

I am considering getting the Ford Performance packs to get more life out of my pony. My question is, are they worth the money?

$499 for a air filter and tune? Seems a bit crazy.

Is there other options?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 AM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

Depends on what you are trying to do with the car. These cars can be upgraded in almost every way, so it can add up quick. Get a tuner from somewhere like Brenspeed or Steeda. Dont waste your money on a CAI if you ever plan on doing real performance mods in the future, as you'll have to get rid of it. Headers are probably the most straightforward "low cost" option to make power (install wont be cheap though). If you dont have the performance pack, stickier tires on wider/lighter wheels are also a must.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Thomas Andrews

I've read that the CAI doesn't do much of anything but look cool.

I was thinking of going with the Ford Performance pack as its warrantied or should I not worry much about that? The Subaru was like a bomb lol when was it going to blow so the warranty was something I tried to keep good as long as possible.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:30 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

You shouldnt be modding a car if you're worried about the warranty. Do your research and you wont have to worry about blowing anything up.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Thomas Andrews

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
You shouldnt be modding a car if you're worried about the warranty. Do your research and you wont have to worry about blowing anything up.
Ok, with that in mind, since I'm not worried as I know this platform is far more rugged. Where would you start? Bama tuner? Any recommendations? I know that will immediately change the feel of the power delivery and it sounds fun.

I was thinking of going for a super charger / procharger.

Start letting the ideas fly!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

I mentioned Brenspeed and Steeda for tuners already because they have a great rep. Bama probably has the worst rep of any tuner I've ever seen. If you're going supercharged in the future you probably dont want to invest anything into the top end of the engine. So, build up the bottom of the car to benefit now, and maximize the eventual supercharger.

Headers back exhaust + tuner = power now
Rear suspension upgrades (vertical links and steeda subframe support) = cut the wheel hop
Wider wheels + summer tires = hook up a lot better (lighter weight for more drivetrain benefit)
1 piece aluminum driveshaft = lighter/faster drivetrain
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thomas Andrews
I am looking to see what upgrades I should be getting for my '15 auto GT. I am coming from a STi. Sadly this pony only gets slightly better speeds than that did due to its weight.

I am considering getting the Ford Performance packs to get more life out of my pony. My question is, are they worth the money?

$499 for a air filter and tune? Seems a bit crazy.

Is there other options?
Don't forget suspension. Whiteline offers lowering springs, coilovers, sway bars and end links for your vehicle. If you had a STI I think you've probably heard of Whiteline:

https://whitelineperformance.com/amf...tang-gt-150053