Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Shifter Problem?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Mason Wong

Default Shifter Problem?

Hi! When I shift primarily from 1st to 2nd, I feel almost like a grinding sensation in the shifter itself. It feels as if the shifter is grinding against something with teeth, and is trying to be kicked out of place. Occasionally it happens in 3rd and 4th, but not nearly as much as it does going from 1st to 2nd. Also, sometimes I can't physically put the car into 2nd gear. It feels as if there is a wall blocking the gear off. After it goes into second and I release the clutch, the car jolts as if I had stalled it. The RPMs don't change and I am letting the clutch out smoothly like I do with the other gears. This is my first manual car, so I do not know if this is actually supposed to be normal or not. I've taken the car into the dealership three times regarding the issue, and each time, they say the car feels normal. On the most recent visit, the third time, a mechanic drove the car with me, and looked surprised whenever the shifter didn't go in smoothly. When we returned to the dealership, he got out of the car and said everything felt normal. I am taking the car to a different dealership soon to see if something is actually wrong with the transmission. Is this type of thing supposed to be normal in mustangs, or did I just get a special car?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Biziman

Hello Mason:

Read this thread: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...into-gear.html

OP had a different issue, but there is some discussion about your issue. I purchased my GT Premium (Performance Package) this past August. After some research, I concluded on purchasing the Blowfish Racing Support Bracket (https://www.cjponyparts.com/blowfish...-2017/p/MSSB1/). I don't work for them, that's where I got it.

It eliminates the notchiness and difficulty getting into gear, particularly when you have higher revs. This better fixes the shifter to the transmission so that when it and the motor torques, the shifter is inline with the torque motion. It also preserves the longevity of the gears by not grinding them when forcing your shifter. Downside is it does add some NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness), but you can adjust to that--simply a matter of taste.

Our stock shifter is basically a "remote" mount, which has less NVH, but when you start to drive more aggressively, you have the problem of not hitting those gears. For me, the Blowfish Bracket was a good investment, because I have no problem quickly shifting into gear at any speed or rpm. I have just over 2,700 miles now with no notchiness at all. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread