Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Bearing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM
fshubert

Default Bearing Sound?

I'm hearing what I can only describe as a bearing sound in my new GT. I can really hear it downshifting and when not under load on a level surface at just about any speed. The sound seems to go away under load. I'm thinking a bad throw-out bearing or an input shaft bearing. Anyone experience this sound? I've got an appointment to bring the car into the dealer on Thursday. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM
fshubert

OK, so it's actually in the trans. The techs acknowledge that it's noisy but also point out the noise in the new Torsen rear as well. Will check with corporate and other dealers for customer feedback on the trans noise and get back to me.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
bigriver

I have this noise that happens around 2000 rpm after shifting. If I hold at 2200 rpm the noise is constant. My 2018 GT is in the shop now. The tech was able to duplicate the noise is now talking to Ford about next steps.

At 00:16 I kept the rpm steady at 2200. Lots of other videos on youtube with this same sound but no one knows what's causing it.

Last edited by bigriver; 04-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:55 AM
fshubert

Yup! That's exactly what I hear. The techs at my dealer heard it and acknowledged it isn't right. I will be back at my dealer this week (they have to replace the horn - it stopped working) and I will ask about the response from Ford corporate and other dealerships of 2018 GT owners. You should let your dealership know that a customer at Performance Ford (Randolph, NJ) with a 2018 GT has the same problem as you. Which dealership are you working with? I will pass that info on to Performance Ford. If enough 2018 GT owners pool their resources, Ford will have to act.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM
bigriver

My car is at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine, CA.

Thanks for the info. The tech thinks it’s rod knock but can’t find it so he is still talking to Ford hotline.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:56 PM
bigriver

Are you running 91 octane? A buddy of mine said to also try that my car is in the shop so I can't. I've been using 87
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 AM
fshubert

I only run 93 octane. BP. Occasionally Shell or Sunoco but no matter where I buy the gas, it's only Premium. But with a BP near home, it's easiest to fill with that. I only put the 93 in the BMWs I had before the GT too.

I don't think it's a rod. I think it's an input shaft bearing to the manual trans. Like your video, it's only around when I'm not under load (accelerating or decelerating) and in the 2000-2200 RPM range. I'm waiting for the call to go back into Performance Ford to replace my horn so I can find out what their thoughts are and to also point them to your car in Irvine.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Cpthair

Shouldn't be using 87 octane in a car that comes tuned for 91+ from the factory. It can cause a whole other set of problems for you.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Cpthair

Originally Posted by fshubert
I only run 93 octane. BP. Occasionally Shell or Sunoco but no matter where I buy the gas, it's only Premium. But with a BP near home, it's easiest to fill with that. I only put the 93 in the BMWs I had before the GT too.

I don't think it's a rod. I think it's an input shaft bearing to the manual trans. Like your video, it's only around when I'm not under load (accelerating or decelerating) and in the 2000-2200 RPM range. I'm waiting for the call to go back into Performance Ford to replace my horn so I can find out what their thoughts are and to also point them to your car in Irvine.
I think I have this problem as well. I JUST got my car last week with 80 miles on it, I just hit 900 miles. I was hoping it was something that would iron itself out after the break-in period but it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
fshubert

Bring it to your dealer. Advise them that 2 others from the Forum have the same issue and have their respective dealers (see in the thread) looking into this sound. I've got an appointment to see my dealer on 5/2. Let myself and BigRiver know what dealer you use.

Quick Reply: Bearing Sound?