Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Smooth Clutch Engagement Gone

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Angry Smooth Clutch Engagement Gone

Are there any clutch experts who can help? I have 3000 miles... My flywheel and clutch assemblies have been replaced twice already because my clutch engagement is on/off... Meaning, I'm unable to get the clutch to engage smoothly (from stops in 1st) without the car jerking/bucking. My coworker and I purchased identical cars within a week of each other and I drove his again - beautiful progressive engagement. I drove another new GT at the dealer - beautiful progressive engagement. Get back into mine - jerk-buck. It feels like there is literally a half inch of pedal travel between ENGAGED and DISENGAGED. During the last repair they replaced everything between the crank shaft and the driveshaft. In my mind, this leaves 2 possibilities:

1: The master cylinder is the culprit
2: Something is going wrong during reassembly (grease on disc, etc)

I've been extremely patient as my car has been in the shop for this and the shifting issues 4 times now. Can anyone here give me some guidance as to how I should move forward? The car is not functioning like the dozen I test drove before making the purchase, my coworker's car, or even MY car when I took delivery.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Just a thought.....mine will do something like you are describing......if I fail to press the gas just right. If I press the go-fast pedal a split second sooner, the release is smooth as silk. Mine seems like a bit of a lag in the accelerator pedal function and I just have not taken the time to look into it.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That sucks, and I don't know what to say except lemon law. Your car should not be doing this at only 3K miles, I just hit 8K on mine and so far, I have not experienced anything as severe as you have.

I do not know what Cali Lemon Laws say, but if you already expended all the chances the dealership has to fix the car, lemon law is the way to go. But if they have one or two more chances left before lemon law, on the next attempt, demand that they more than just replace the clutch and flywheel, but the entire tranny and possible even driveshaft and rear gear assembly too.

And to at least try to give them another chance after the last repair attempt fails, at least to make it right before lemon law arbitration, ask and see if the dealership or Ford could simply just replace your car altogether with another GT. They will be losing money, but at least they will not have the lemon law arbitration on their record.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 AM
cdv478

I hope the dealer or Ford can resolve your engagement situation, but if you contacted a lemon law attorney with documentation from your visits, they could probably help. Cali law says 3 failures of a system/component within the first 18,000 miles or 18 months can make you eligible to pursue a buyback or compensation as a general rule, but there are further details I don't have memorized. I had to use a lemon law attorney for my 08 STI, and I didn't get a buyback. But, my issue wasn't as severe as yours. I just had repeat Nav issues and got $2500. Threatening to get an attorney after 4 failures finally got Subaru to give me a new nav unit, then I went after them for ignoring me and making me threaten them. If Ford and your dealer are legitimately trying to help you I'd still hold off, but as a last resort, I think it would work for you. The transmission is a major system impacting value, performance and safety, and would get more attention than a nav unit. I still feel a little ratty about getting an attorney, but it was the only way to get a resolution in my situation. Hopefully you won't have to use that option.