Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Im 18, got my 2010 when I turned 17. Has nothing to do with being a spoiled brat, I was just fortunate to have parent who were able to buy me the car, and I know that each and every day. I am 100% aware that if it wasnt for my parents I wouldve had to sell my quads and probably be leasing an altima or something
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
lbpalm

Originally Posted by Mishri
This TSB covers what we know is the #8 Piston failure, and it describes how to determine if aftermarket parts were ever put on the vehicle and to proceed with voiding the warranty. Although if something comes up unrelated to the modification they are supposed to still fix it though they may try to deny it.

A little bit scary, so far the people who have the #8 piston failure have just a tune or cai+tune, are running a 93 octane tune from various tuners and atleast a couple at one point had bad gas or lower octane gas in the tank with that tune.

Go ahead and post any reports you know of this issue. It is disconcerting, I don't believe any mustang has ever been actually known to have issues with a cai+tune only. especially since we know people are hitting 600-700whp on the stock engine without this issue.
I would be curious as to what causes that #8 failure.
If it turns out that there is a known lean condition on #8, it could also be very possible that the flow to that cyl. is marginal as per original Ford intake runner/plenum design, particularly if a number of engines have experienced that condition.

If so, it is likely that Ford is well aware of the condition, and which may be exacerbated under non-Ford tunes...
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

#8 was failing due to detonation, detonation caused by changing the knock sensors so they don't pull timing. So you get detonation because the timing was advanced too far by early tuners... and sub-par gasoline or a myriad of other non-optimal conditions can lead to it. Since then tuners aren't screwing with the knock senors and are making their tunes a bit more conservative.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Are #8 even still failing?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Are #8 even still failing?
Only stock tune cars now. I think aftermarket tunes that have had real dyno time put in, or have been extensively logged and tweaked are safer than the stock calibration for people running less than 93.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I haven't heard about any issues in awhile. Every time I've seen a claim from someone saying they were stock with a #8 issue someone pulled up the claim and proved that the ECU was sent to ford and that the person had a non-factory tune on it at some point and returned it to stock. I'd like to see proof that someone who never had an aftermarket tune had #8 go on them.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I haven't heard about any issues in awhile. Every time I've seen a claim from someone saying they were stock with a #8 issue someone pulled up the claim and proved that the ECU was sent to ford and that the person had a non-factory tune on it at some point and returned it to stock. I'd like to see proof that someone who never had an aftermarket tune had #8 go on them.
Kinda hard to prove that unless you had been with the car 24/7. I don't remember what board it was on, but there was at least one instance of a guy not running a tune (nobody was able to come up with any evidence to the contrary) and I believe Ford replaced his engine for a #8 failure. One may not sound like many, but when you're talking about the 5-6 at most that were tuned, it's a significant number IMO.

Either way, the sky is not falling, and your chance of a #8 failure with or without a tune is pretty much statistically insignificant.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Truckbutt
It could be a combination of (3) factors:
1. Tunes push the car to the engine's tolerances.
2. People who use tunes tend to beat on their cars more then people who don't.
3. Far more people have tunes then blowers as already mentioned.
I suspect that Ford tunes their cars to allow for imperfections in engine build. Tuning the car leaves less room for error.
I think #2 is spot on!!!! Who drives their car easier when they've just gotten more power to play with?? NOBODY.... at least not untill the newness wears off. Having said that, it still doesn't answer why they would deny a warranty just because of a cat back system, or other mods that have no effect on the cooling of # 8 cyl? How does a cat back sys. burn up #8 cyl? WTF?

This is a great thread. Thanks to Mishri for posting it.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Katie
I think #2 is spot on!!!! Who drives their car easier when they've just gotten more power to play with?? NOBODY.... at least not untill the newness wears off. Having said that, it still doesn't answer why they would deny a warranty just because of a cat back system, or other mods that have no effect on the cooling of # 8 cyl? How does a cat back sys. burn up #8 cyl? WTF?

This is a great thread. Thanks to Mishri for posting it.
If I had to guess, it would be Ford being Ford and trying to deny working on a failing design. They might say the cat-back system did something to the back pressure or (insert random cause), which then reversed its way all the way to #8 cylinder failing. Since the exhaust is connected to the engine afterall... I don't see how that would hold up if fought in court or something though.