Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Shop for Supercharger install Southern Calif

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 AM
qboy

Default Shop for Supercharger install Southern Calif

I want a shop that has done lots of installs and tuning. I don't want to trust a shop just because someone says they're good. I want one with lots of experience. It's going on a 2012 5.0 with auto trans.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM
CubanoGT
2nd Gear Member

GAS (galpin auto sports) expensive but trustworthy
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I have heard nothing but good things about RET (Racer's Edge Tuning). It's a little further North (about a 2 hour drive from the Navy base I am stationed at) but they are great from what I have heard. Where in SoCal are you?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
qboy

I'm near Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm (Anaheim/Buena Park)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

We are lucky to have several good shops here in Socal that can handle any type of install.My 2011 5.0 was built and tuned by ST Motorsports in San Bernardino CA

I have a Kenne Bell 2.8LC blower making 580rwhp forged bottom end 10:1 compression
ST is well known just do a search and you will see what they produce

I also reccomend RET in Downey they do great work and have lots of experience with all types of builds

also there is GTR Hi performance in Rancho Cucamonga CA

all three of these shops have done builds featured in all the major Magazines and there are plenty of us with cars that have had work done by these shops.

what type of supercharger are you going with?

http://www.spankintime.com/
http://racersedgetuning.net/
http://www.gtrhipo.com/

Last edited by zilla8; 08-21-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
qboy

Haven't decided on which type yet. I like the Kenny Bell. Since I'm also in Calif, I need to make sure it can pass smog. How are you going to handle that? I didn't think the KB was CARB approved. I'm thinking of going to JBA Racing for the install. Anyone deal with them?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

THe Kenne Bell 2.8 is 50 state legal and should have CARB E.O.# soon
all testing is complete and at 9# with the stock airbox and KB tune it will pass CA smog

by the time you are do for smog I'm sure all the major supercharger kits will have CARB cert.It's good you are doing your research because this is something you want to do right the first time.

I would take the time now to visit all of the shops and check out their work and customers cars.It's good to build a relationship with a good shop because they will be there for you down the road.

ST has been great with support and mataining my car long after the install of my KB blower and that is something you can't put a price on.

I have'nt been to JBA in 20 years and while they mostly do exhaust I'm sure they could handle a blower.

the great thing about all the shops I reccomended is they all have a good relationship with Kenne Bell and also Vortech and can get you the best pricing.I have a couple friends that have the Magnuson Magna charger and they are happy with the results.

Last edited by zilla8; 08-22-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 PM
qboy

What got you to go with the Kenny Bell over the Vortech?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Well theres kinda two camps when it comes to blowers
the Centri camp and the PD camp or positive displacement like the KB and Whipple blowers.

I love the instant boost and hit of the PD as opposed to the more Turbo like behavior of the Centrifugal blower that comes on strong on the top end.

It's just a personal thing so dont be swayed by my choice because trust me the Centri blowers can make sick power too.Take a look at the Pro Charger kit's

Last edited by zilla8; 08-24-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

A positive displacement blower will usually net your more power and torque in the lower rpm range, more "grunt" so to speak. A centri will usually build power more slowly and peak out when you get to higher rpm's. When racing and the engine is constantly in the high rpm's as your shifting, either will work well. For just driving around, and when you want to plant the pedal to the floor and get thrown back in your seat, a positive displacement blower will do the trick. Probalby my two favorites from research and paying attention to the Mustang game for some time now, are probably the Ford Racing Whipple and Kenne-Bell. I had a Procharger on my '95 and was very happy with it as well.

Quick Reply: Shop for Supercharger install Southern Calif