Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Leaky diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaky diff

My 2011 GT leaks fluid from the diff if I corner hard. I like cornering, but I don't like cleaning differential fluid of the inside of my wheels.

I believe ford has a tsb for this, but their solution seems cheap. I'd like to get the frp differential girdle (M-4033-G2), but it's $200. The 2011 Mustang GT500 cover has no holes or vents (so no leaks) and is about $120. I guess diff servicing with the frp cover is easier since it has drain and fill plugs, but are there any other advantages to justify the extra $80? Does anyone know if the BOSS diff cover is different from the GT cover?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
JimC

I have the Ford fix - the "turkey baster" bulb. Works fine, no more spillage.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 AM
keoni1984

I don't recall who it was, but I believe someone over on s197forum bought the BOSS diff cover to fix this issue. I don't recall exactly what else he did for this fix, but apparently it works and also cleared his Watts link. I've been seeing this issue come up quite a bit on the boards lately... I better go take a closer look at mine. BTW, I also heard the "turkey baster" fix will hit the exhaust pipe on the '11+ models and melts the top of the baster. Someone fixed that issue by doing a DIY that consisted of a ****** fitting, 2 feet of hose, and a breather filter. He said it works like a charm. I'm thinking I might go this route if mine is leaking...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:45 AM
keoni1984

******* fitting*
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
My 2011 GT leaks fluid from the diff if I corner hard. I like cornering, but I don't like cleaning differential fluid of the inside of my wheels.

I believe ford has a tsb for this, but their solution seems cheap. I'd like to get the frp differential girdle (M-4033-G2), but it's $200. The 2011 Mustang GT500 cover has no holes or vents (so no leaks) and is about $120. I guess diff servicing with the frp cover is easier since it has drain and fill plugs, but are there any other advantages to justify the extra $80? Does anyone know if the BOSS diff cover is different from the GT cover?

Thanks.
Hi! I'm the guy from the S197 forum with the GT500 cover that clears my Fays2 Watts link, etc.

The GT500/Boss cover has a threaded vent hole at the very top facing straight up so it doesn't show in the photos. If you get it from LMR, it comes with a new OEM vent and a set of ARP mounting bolts. The vent at the top of the cover has a baffle inside so it doesn't leak fluid under hard cornering or acceleration.

After I put mine GT500 cover on, I left my turkey baster vent in place on the driver's side of the axle, but the top of it melted from hitting the stock over-axle exhaust pipe and it started to leak. I had the left-over OEM vent with the stainless cap that was originally on the rear axle so I popped the cap off and ran an M6x1.0 tap through the middle and sealed it with an M6x1.0x15mm cap screw and some red loctite. Then I replaced the turkey baster with my new home-made plug and now there are no more leaks.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Great advice, JAJ, thanks. Any pictures?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Great advice, JAJ, thanks. Any pictures?
Sadly, no, not at this time. I could take some of the home-made plug in place on top of the axle tube the next time I have the car in the air, and a happy snap of the melted turkey baster as well. We'll see.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 AM
keoni1984

Thanks for clearing that up JAJ! I've been reading up so much on my new favorite toy and all the info kinda jumbles together in my head...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

I just had the ford service done to fix the problem. I agree it sounds like a flimsy fix but I figured since its under warranty I would have them fix it and deal with it. I will be monitoring it over the next few weeks to see if the problem continues. I will post whatever my results are.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0
I just had the ford service done to fix the problem. I agree it sounds like a flimsy fix but I figured since its under warranty I would have them fix it and deal with it. I will be monitoring it over the next few weeks to see if the problem continues. I will post whatever my results are.
SSKiller, thanks. I haven't pulled the trigger on a GT500 or Ford Racing cover yet, so I'll be interested to see how the Ford warranty fix works for you.

Quick Reply: Leaky diff