Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is a CAI really worth it on top of a tune???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Default Is a CAI really worth it on top of a tune???

Reason I ask is I have looked at a few tuner websites where they post numbers (numbers with intake only, tune only and together) and the together number is only a handful of hp/tq above the tune only numbers (3-6).

Being that the intake is about the same cost as the tune (~380) it seems like that 380 could be better spent elsewhere?

Anybody running just a tune and have dyno numbers? I am not trying to be cheap but dollar for dollar the tune seems like the number one mod. After buying the car I dont have a LOT of money to play with but I want mods. I bought a 3.31 car so I am thinking I should do tune->Gears (3.73)-> rims/tires-> Suspension and then go back to the motor later if need be?

Hell, for another 100 bucks more you can buy the Boss intake (500) over the CAI (380). Unless the Boss intake really benefits from the added flow of the intake (which I am guessing is the case because the higher the RPM the more CFM going through the intake).

How about just doing a K&N Drop in? Modifying the stock box? Just thinking out loud, any suggestions are welcome!

What I am referencing was this (which I now realize is old...back when the 5.0 first came out, so it says "prototype intake") from American Muscle's site

Stock – no modifications: 363RWHP / 331RWTQ
Factory tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 374RWHP / 338RWTQ
Bama Custom 2011 Mustang GT tune, stock Airbox: 379RWHP / 357RWTQ
Bama Custom Tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 385RWHP / 362RWTQ

Unless people with the newest tunes and CAI are netting larger gains than this prototype C&L, looks like the ~350 dollar intake is worth 6hp and 5 ft/lbs. Compared to the Tune gaining 16 hp and 26 ft lbs for the same 350 bucks!

I guess we would need a dyno of the above to compare the area under the curve, although from my engine/airflow experience (on quads/bikes) the larger intakes mainly shine in the upper 25% of the rev range where the engine is actually pulling a lot of CFM through the filter.

Last edited by r00st; 01-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

You cant just look at the peak number. You need to see what benefits come throughout the power curve. Best way to do this is to compare the dyno graphs from each option. In my case, I purchased a C&L CAI and SCT tuner plus a tune. You can usually find good bundle deals so I would do it all together.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

remember also that an intake is going to increase the performance of other modifications. For instance, a supercharger breathing through a CAI will produce better numbers than breathing through the stock box.

And at that point, it'll be more than the 3-4 hp peak numbers the dyno peaks show.

But yes, take into account the entire power/torque band. Especially if you're considering a Boss intake manifold.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
remember also that an intake is going to increase the performance of other modifications. For instance, a supercharger breathing through a CAI will produce better numbers than breathing through the stock box.

And at that point, it'll be more than the 3-4 hp peak numbers the dyno peaks show.

But yes, take into account the entire power/torque band. Especially if you're considering a Boss intake manifold.
exactly. you want more power under the curve! Peak isnt the be all end all. CAI gives you nice power with a good tune. Get a CAI that needs a tune and you will see a huge difference.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

from what i've seen it isn't a big difference otherwise stock, you are right, i mostly saw 5-10whp gained throughout the entire powerband, not a great mod for how much it costs.

On the other hand, once you do like an O/R Mid-pipe and/or Boss Intake manifold you'll see much more gains, I've seen up to 25whp gained from adding a CAI after other mods were done to the car.

So, if you think you dont want to do any other mods then just get a tune, if you want more bolt-ons (especially exhaust) then get the CAI+tuner package and save some money now.

also, does the stock air box work with the Boss intake manifold? I didn't think that it does. All the tuners posted which CAI's work with the boss intake manifold (my steeda fit fine w/o buying/adding anything) and I think the JLT required an elbow but i could be wrong, it's been a while since i looked it up.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Ok I will just go for the combo once I can get both at once to save a few bucks. As far as the O/R X pipe...how much do these actually gain?

How hard are they to swap? Is it the same clamp system as the stock mufflers or are they weld in?

My problem with the O/R X is the extra volume it will create. This muffler delete is loud enough as it is! I would probably have to weld in some free flowing mufflers/resonators or glass packs to prevent from getting kicked out of my neighborhood!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

o/r x is bolt on, no welding required. Slap the stock mufflers back on with the x pipe and your neighbors won't complain too much. magnaflow is about 550 from AM. 299 at lethal performance for a bolt on.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep, just clamps, there are some guides to install it floating around on various forums. you basically need a bunch of extensions and swivel heads because the bolts are facing the engine, so you reach it from the hood. after that it looks pretty easy.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
MustangCHN
1st Gear Member

I installed SCT custom tune first. then my RWHP increased to 371. After a few weeks, I installed the C&L CAI. Right now my mustang has 392 RWHP. So the CAI with tune made 21RWHP more than just tune alone.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangCHN
I installed SCT custom tune first. then my RWHP increased to 371. After a few weeks, I installed the C&L CAI. Right now my mustang has 392 RWHP. So the CAI with tune made 21RWHP more than just tune alone.
No way in heck dude. Unless you had back to back runs on a dyno you have no real proof.

Quick Reply: Is a CAI really worth it on top of a tune???