Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

darty steering on my 11 gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 AM
lowriderb

Default darty steering on my 11 gt

my ride has only 5800 miles and steers horible,anybody delt or more important fixed this,love the car but this is my only complaint.checked the air and havent tried rotating the tires till my first oil change.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 AM
lowriderb

could it be these pireli 18" tires?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 AM
b_manne

Originally Posted by lowriderb
could it be these pireli 18" tires?
lol

The tires arent that bad ha
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

it has electronic steering perhaps something is wrong. on the 2012's you can change the steering sensitivity between a couple of different modes.

Take it back to the dealership, drive another see if you think that one steers poorly too. It isn't the tires, if you smacked a wheel into something though that can screw up your steering. (did that on my old grand am, ice+trying to stop down a steep hill, hit the curb, dented my rim pretty good)
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

It isn't that way normally lol. I'm not quite sure what darty steering would feel like, but when I get into my ride and turn the wheel, it's a smooth experience. The tires also aren't bad, pirellis are overrated but are still pretty nice tires overall.

Take it in to the dealership and if its as bad as it sounds, they'll definitely notice it and start on fixing it up.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 AM
lowriderb

driving on the freeway its dificult to keep centerd,if theres any ruts at all it takes great conentration to keep it straight.anybodey heard of a electric steering setting u can change?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lowriderb
driving on the freeway its dificult to keep centerd,if theres any ruts at all it takes great conentration to keep it straight.anybodey heard of a electric steering setting u can change?
I comletely agree! It's takes a lot of effort to drive it on freeway to keep it straight, and it has nothing to do with the steering settings. Because I have tried all 3 settings, and they behave the same on the freeway. As a matter of fact, when in Sport setting on the freeway, the steering to me is the worst because of the stiffness which make a even harder to maintain it straight.

My daily driver, G35X, or for that matter any of the cars I have owned in the past, do not behave like the GT. Ford really needs to work on this important issue.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I comletely agree! It's takes a lot of effort to drive it on freeway to keep it straight, and it has nothing to do with the steering settings. Because I have tried all 3 settings, and they behave the same on the freeway. As a matter of fact, when in Sport setting on the freeway, the steering to me is the worst because of the stiffness which make a even harder to maintain it straight.

My daily driver, G35X, or for that matter any of the cars I have owned in the past, do not behave like the GT. Ford really needs to work on this important issue.
Very weird, maybe it's a 2012 thing or something. The heavy-ish steering in the mustang makes it a breeze for highway driving for me. I could let go and go nearly straight
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

My overall experience with the steering on the freeway is: It is very vague. Yes the stiffness is there, but the "road feel" is not there. I just don't have that reassuring feeling that I have with others I owned. I know there are plenty of cheap cars that have very light steering which you don't get that road feel. But stiff steering does not mean "better" steering. My G35X has a much better steering and road feel than the GT. Also when conering hard with the GT, there is that lack of road feel also. But don't get me wrong, the GT corners much better than the G35X, but it lacks that important "road feel".

I have read a comparison of cars in an article in Car & Driver several months back which pitted the GT against the Z, MX5, and others, one test driver mentioned the lack of "road feel" in GT also.

Last edited by flash gordon; 03-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

it's a softer more luxury styled vehicle with less road feel than older mustangs, they even said with the 2011 mustang they were modeling it after the BMW M3. The electronic steering takes the feeling out of the steering wheel, you feel the road through the suspension/tires. I've never had any issue with the car taking to the ruts in the road, the steering is stiff enough that i can let go of the wheel and stay straight.

Have you driven many vehicles with tires as wide as the mustangs? some people notice a tendency for wider tires on cars to cause it to wander a bit, this happens on all vehicles with wide tires.

Personally when im on a highway i dont want to feel the road, i just want to cruise in comfort and I think ford did a good job with that. If you want to really "feel the road" you can lower it and get even stiffer suspension...

I came from an '07 GT and the steering is different, but I like it better.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: darty steering on my 11 gt