Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ordered a new exhaust and have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Ordered a new exhaust and have a question...

Hey folks... I just purchased the FRPP GT500 exhaust for my GT (P/N M-5230-MGTCA1) and was wondering about something that AM's website shows comes with it... I haven't received the package yet, but I was just curious now.

Here is a pic of it...

I installed my Pypes on the 2005 and there wasn't anything like this with them. I have no problem installing these myself, but I'm just wondering what they are for. Anyone know? Any tips to help with the install? I have access to floor jacks, ramps, but no lift (insert sad face here).

Besides that, if you have some feedback on these that would be nice, but since I've already ordered them, I guess that means my mind is already made up, huh?

Thanks,
Don
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

I think it's for working out. Lol I'm kidding. I have no idea. My bassani axle backs came in today but they didn't have anything like that in the box
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

My 500 mufflers had a sort of safety or quick release hookup that looked like it was supposed to go from the pipes to the muffler. Those look like they'd belong there. Not exactly sure why they are there..but I'm betting they will hook up to the muffler and pipe junction and hang there.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Sand4u
1st Gear Member

My GT500 mufflers came with those also. One end was attached to a pin on the new mufflers, and there was a corresponding pin on the exhaust pipes that the other end could be connected to. Not sure what it is there for, it didn't really seem like it would help with installation. I just took them off so they wouldn't melt. They certainly weren't going to provide any additional support beyond the clamps.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

If it's just an axleback, you don't need ramps, jack, or a lift. (Unless you are round with short arms...) As for the rubber straps, I'm clueless.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Tight Lines
1st Gear Member

Had those straps too. I just left them in the box.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

They were delivered yesterday and man was the Misses mad... I got her an iPad2 for Mothers' Day and she said that she can guess what I want for fathers' day, an exhaust, with a big grin... I said hell yeah, that sounds a lot better than what I had expected. Soooooo.... I ordered this exhaust since I thought she had given me permission with her comment. Apparently, it was tongue in cheek and I told her that we've been married for 14 years now and she should know that she should say what she means when she talks to me since I can't read her mind... Oh well, Happy Father's Day to me!!!!

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 05-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Ok... Am I pooped... I just installed them and they look great... I wanted to update my thread incase anyone else has the same problem I had...

I started by removing and installing the passenger side first. After taking off the clamp for the over axel pipe and the axel back, I removed the rubber hanger insulator that is furthest back. This allowed me to swivel the muffler down so I could push it out the other hanger insulators. Installed new and it was tight, but no main problems. Phew. At this point, I figure the driver's side will be a "wash, rinse, repeat" scenarios.

Boy was I wrong. I had to loosen the over axel pipe to swivel it out of the way so that the new muffler could get into the hanger insulators. This was not a big deal, but I didn't resort to this step as soon as I should have... I was fighting with the pipe with no success for far too long...

Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience. In retrospect, I had to do the same with my 2005 GT, so I shouldn't have been surprised, but my success with the passenger side made me feel like I should be able to do the same with the driver's. Oh well. I post up pics of the exhaust shortly. In the meantime, here is a pic of what I had to loosen... It is colored green.

ETA: Pic as promised...

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 05-28-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I ended up loosening the panhard bar brace and Item 13 to get that in. Yours is the same as mine that the passenger and driver side pipes don't line up the same with the rear valence. Enjoy!

The real hard part is explaining to the wife that the part cost X, and then you need 150 more for tools during installation.