Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 needing new engine

Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Good ole stealership... Hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I'm pretty disappointed with the new 5.0, when bolt-ons will blow it up and the dealerships wont fix it for free.
Ford seriously pushed the edge using non forged pistons and the massively high 11:1CR. Piston squiters? What a joke.
Ford even discontinued those stupid squirters in all GTs

At least they got it right with the Roadrunner Boss engine. forged pistons and no squirters.

At least for NA application, the fake forged conrods have held up under some heavy NA application mods
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Ford seriously pushed the edge using non forged pistons and the massively high 11:1CR. Piston squiters? What a joke.

At least they got it right with the Roadrunner Boss engine. forged pistons and no squirters.

At least for NA application, the fake forged conrods have held up under some heavy NA application mods
Sorry for the dumb question, but could I ask? Why is it the piston squiters are stupid? Maybe it's considered common knowledge, but I am ignorant, and would like to know!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm ignorant to all that is 5.0, but I read somewhere that the boss engine still uses powdered pistons.

I'm a little disappointed in the 5.0. I'd be afraid to tune one, if I had one.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The piston squirters are used to cool the pistons since the material is somewhat "sub-par" in most engine builder's eyes. They are not in the boss because 1. they do not function properly at the higher rpms and rob horse power and 2. the pistons in the boss are not made with the same process that causes them to fracture during detonation. The second point probably developed from the first though.

The "stupid" part is that Ford elected to put the squirters in for the base gt motor to lower the operating temperatures of the pistons in lieu of stronger pistons for cost saving. This led to a motor that is running on the edge of its capabilities.

What probably happened was that the boss motor wasn't developed until after the 2011 and well into the 2012 base blocks were cast and machined. Rather than change the production mid year Ford kept the design and incorporated their lessons learned into the 2013 model. Also the development of the different pistons for the boss engine were not needed in the massive production numbers that the base gt was, therefore the production of said pistons could not meet the demand for the 2012 year on such short notice.
I apologize if this was TMI, and the last paragraph is speculation. Jim5.0 correct me if im wrong about the "stupid" assumption.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
The piston squirters are used to cool the pistons since the material is somewhat "sub-par" in most engine builder's eyes. They are not in the boss because 1. they do not function properly at the higher rpms and rob horse power and 2. the pistons in the boss are not made with the same process that causes them to fracture during detonation. The second point probably developed from the first though.

The "stupid" part is that Ford elected to put the squirters in for the base gt motor to lower the operating temperatures of the pistons in lieu of stronger pistons for cost saving. This led to a motor that is running on the edge of its capabilities.

What probably happened was that the boss motor wasn't developed until after the 2011 and well into the 2012 base blocks were cast and machined. Rather than change the production mid year Ford kept the design and incorporated their lessons learned into the 2013 model. Also the development of the different pistons for the boss engine were not needed in the massive production numbers that the base gt was, therefore the production of said pistons could not meet the demand for the 2012 year on such short notice.
I apologize if this was TMI, and the last paragraph is speculation. Jim5.0 correct me if im wrong about the "stupid" assumption.
Sorry, but I don't think Ford added the oil squirters as some kind of "bandaid" fix to keep pistons from failing and save money. That just does not make sense. Ford tests these motors, and if they had issues with the pistons failing it would have been easier and less expensive in the long run to just go forged. Why go to all the trouble to add oil jets instead of better pistons? Ford set the rev. limiter on the 5.0 for 7000 RPM. To me that says they are pretty confident of the engine, or else they could have just set it to like 6200 like the 4.6 to help prevent a piston failure.
Just saying. They spent a lot of money developing to coyote, and added a lot of features into it to make it the baddest Mustang motor yet, and they wouldn't want all of it to blow up in thier face due to broken pistons as soon as the 5.0's hit the street.
Reason the Boss needed to be forged is because they purpose-built it to be a track car, and wanted to up the redline to 7500. And be able to sustain that for track use. On the street, you are not gonna sustain those high revs. From what I read, the oil squirters were not retained due to loosing some HP at 7500, and they were considered overkill with forged pistons anyway.
Do the 2013 have forged pistons? If they do, according to Ford's own literature, the oil jets are still there. So maybe they are over-kill rather than a bandiad fix.
Oh well, I'm gonna run the **** out of my 5.0 and see if it fails under warranty and if so Ford can eat the bill for it. But if it makes it through warranty I'll consider it pretty tough, abnd forget about all this internet heresay.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 PM
learning

Well new engine was starting to be installed today. Mototr build date was Jan. 12. Do the newer 5.0 have same old problems with tune?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

It will be all good!! Ford for the win!! They will take care of ya!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

learning, if you want to mod give Bama Chips a tune, (american muscle) they offer a warranty against #8 piston failure.

although #3 piston failure.. hmm.. does make me wonder about the manufacturing of these pistons when I see reports of different pistons failing, even on non-modded ones. It's like #8 was the most common (hottest) so they blamed that on mods, when in reality some just blow and some don't, modded or un-modded.

good ol' 2012 piston popper.

It does feel like a scapegoat, blaming it on mods, and an attempt to not admit any failure. Maybe they are taking care of people who had a good tune/reasonable mods and the engine just blew I don't know, most of those people say they are working with ford and can no longer discuss the issue. So maybe I shouldn't be too hard on them. we'll see, i haven't seen any forum posts in the past 6 months about blown engines and ford denying warranty coverage from a modded N/A... but i haven't been searching all of them as I used to.

Last edited by Mishri; 06-15-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

Then why aren't all turbo'd and supercharged 5.0s blowing up? There are a few around me, and none of them (track cars) are having issues. The manual trans can't handle it..but the motor seems to like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 needing new engine