Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

There was actually a dyno test done and posted on SVT performance where the K&N panel filter LOST power. My personal opinion is the same as Mishri's above, the CAI is more worth it if you are doing further mods later. It also could be worth it if you just like the way it looks, or like the way it sounds. What I did since I wasn't going to mod the car further than a tune, was get the Roush CAI for just under 200 bucks. I don't think it did anything for drive-ability at all, MAYBE some throttle response which might be placebo effect, but it sure does sound cool. It was worth the 2 bills to me for that, as I like listening to the car, hence I get enjoyment from the CAI.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
There was actually a dyno test done and posted on SVT performance where the K&N panel filter LOST power. My personal opinion is the same as Mishri's above, the CAI is more worth it if you are doing further mods later. It also could be worth it if you just like the way it looks, or like the way it sounds. What I did since I wasn't going to mod the car further than a tune, was get the Roush CAI for just under 200 bucks. I don't think it did anything for drive-ability at all, MAYBE some throttle response which might be placebo effect, but it sure does sound cool. It was worth the 2 bills to me for that, as I like listening to the car, hence I get enjoyment from the CAI.
Interesting, because I was looking at that too. The design gets rid of the all the turns and bends the air has to make from atmosphere to intake manifold. But I know other manufacturers will say the fact that you keep your non-smooth intake pipe and at its small size, it won't help the car breathe as much as theirs. And they would be right.

But my question still isn't being addressed. I'm talking about heat. Not cost so much. Heat as to where the air is pulled from.

Is there a less restrictive design that only pulls outside air? Is this even a valid concern? If it isn't, show me with data. Closed hood, not under ideal conditions data. I just don't want to add more heat on top of the god awful temps already here in AZ.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

600 bucks for a CAI and Tune for 15-20HP may sound expensive to some.
But aftermarket HP is not cheap folks.

But hey... compared to others... aftermarket HP
IS REALLY cheap on the GT500!
I can't believe how much power you get for the money
on small mods on these beasts!

Ok... wasn't trying to brag or upset people.
Really I'm not.
I just really can't get over how cheap and easy it is to add BIG power
to these things.

That being said...
I think the value of CAI and tune really boils down to one really important thing.
Are you only going to do this mod and that is it and expect to get big change?
If so you will be disappointed.

But if you know about cars, know HP is not cheap, know that unless you slap a blower or turbo on your car most HP comes in relatively conservative chunks,
and even more, know you will be doing more later...
then you know that a CAI and a good tune IS worth it.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
600 bucks for a CAI and Tune for 15-20HP may sound expensive to some.
But aftermarket HP is not cheap folks.

But hey... compared to others... aftermarket HP
IS REALLY cheap on the GT500!
I can't believe how much power you get for the money
on small mods on these beasts!

Ok... wasn't trying to brag or upset people.
Really I'm not.
I just really can't get over how cheap and easy it is to add BIG power
to these things.

That being said...
I think the value of CAI and tune really boils down to one really important thing.
Are you only going to do this mod and that is it and expect to get big change?
If so you will be disappointed.

But if you know about cars, know HP is not cheap, know that unless you slap a blower or turbo on your car most HP comes in relatively conservative chunks,
and even more, know you will be doing more later...
then you know that a CAI and a good tune IS worth it.
The OP posted he wasn't basing this on cost vs. hp gain.. He is looking for a simple data table showing the IAT of the OEM airbox vs. an aftermarket CAI based on real driving conditions, not data collected while sitting on a dyno with the hood up in a covered garage...

The importance of knowing the actual temp of the air as you are driving is for the obvious fact that hotter air is less dense. Less density means less air in the cylinder since most are running our cars N/A... Superchargers and Turbos can overcome this to extent with air pressure (boost). When all other aspects are the same, Less air = lean A/F mixture.

Not sure why the data isn't more easily accessible. I would think someone with a CAI and their OEM airbox could gather this data relatively easily... Doesn't the datalogging capability of the SCT tuners allow the tracking of IAT?

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 08-31-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
The OP posted he wasn't basing this on cost vs. hp gain.. He is looking for a simple data table showing the IAT of the OEM airbox vs. an aftermarket CAI based on real driving conditions, not data collected while sitting on a dyno with the hood up in a covered garage...

The importance of knowing the actual temp of the air as you are driving is for the obvious fact that hotter air is less dense. Less density means less air in the cylinder since most are running our cars N/A... Superchargers and Turbos can overcome this to extent with air pressure (boost). When all other aspects are the same, Less air = lean A/F mixture.

Not sure why the data isn't more easily accessible. I would think someone with a CAI and their OEM airbox could gather this data relatively easily... Doesn't the datalogging capability of the SCT tuners allow the tracking of IAT?

Don
I will have this information for you this coming week, I have a automatic GT that I'm spending alot of time with working on the shifting and I plan to do this and post the actual datalog with the stock airbox and C&L no tune required intake. I can also make a log of it with the tuning required but since it only changes MAF size I dont think it would be create any difference in overall Air Charge Temps. I will make a new post showing this information.

Thanks!! Doug
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L
I will have this information for you this coming week, I have a automatic GT that I'm spending alot of time with working on the shifting and I plan to do this and post the actual datalog with the stock airbox and C&L no tune required intake. I can also make a log of it with the tuning required but since it only changes MAF size I dont think it would be create any difference in overall Air Charge Temps. I will make a new post showing this information.

Thanks!! Doug
Awesome... Thanks for taking on this "project" Doug. I'm interested in seeing the results myself.

Don
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Don
Ahh.. I.C.
Sorry I did not read the original part where he said that.
But I agree... Seems odd that data is not EASILY accessible because it seems like it would be something many would be curious about, and should be easy to gather as you said.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Doug, don't forget to do these tests with the hood closed or OP will not be happy with the results. LOL

Originally Posted by Doug@C&L

Thanks!! Doug
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
Doug, don't forget to do these tests with the hood closed or OP will not be happy with the results. LOL
HA! All I am picturing is someone driving down the highway at 65mph when all of the sudden the hood flies up and wraps over the top of the car and the first thing that comes to this person's minds is "DAMN... Now I have to start the air temp data collection again..."

Don
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

HA! All I am picturing is someone driving down the highway at 65mph when all of the sudden the hood flies up and wraps over the top of the car and the first thing that comes to this person's minds is "DAMN... Now I have to start the air temp data collection again..."

Don
LOL. Dicks.

Doug, I really appreciate you doing this. It does seem pretty simple and I wish there was more data out there.

I think the money thing got thrown into all of this because I may have mentioned spending the money to get a product which won't be as good as the stock when the hood is down. But good will vary from person to person. For me, it means performing in the 118 degree summer just as well as the stock would only pulling the coldest air it could. I don't wanna add more heat to the engine.

Happy hunting, Doug.

Quick Reply: My rant about Cold Air Induction aftermarket vs stock.