Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP Pro-Cal users...feedback requested.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Pro-Cal users...feedback requested.

How does the performance of the 5.0 compare stock vs. FRPP tuned? What do you like most/least. Does the fact that it doesn't raise the governed speed limit bother you? Thanks for any and all info from a guy who has tuned a prior 2010 Challenger R/T with canned tunes from a Diablosport Predator (made a huge improvement over stock tuning) and who is already blown away at the power and performance of the stock 5.0 vs that tuned up Dodge!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

OMG, its absolutely transformative. Everything is better. Low end power, mid high rpm power, gas mileage, throttle response. It's a total package. Do I wish it eliminated the limiter, yeah but, on a 3.73 car it's probably going to top out at about 150 anyway, even if I could have a chance to test it, which I won't in the police state I live in for enforcement.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 AM
mastertech

everything is better with the tune, im sure the other more aggressive tunes are better but the big selling point for me was keeping my warranty. order it from www.buyfordracing.com for $285.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I agree with the previous posts. Don't know that you can actually feel the gains in the higher rpms but I can definitely feel it in the lower rpms. I can be in 2nd gear roll @ 20+ mph, hit the gas, and it will destroy the tires getting sideways. Lol. Lots of fun. 1st gear is useless. No traction at all. If you plan on tracking the car, you will need to get you a set of drag radials.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

And keeping my warranty is a big plus. No worries.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Sounds like fun! Knowing it doesnt affect the warranty is huge. Believe me. Having tuned my Challenger, it was no big worry at first but by year three I was seriously concerned about the looming possible headaches in the coming next years as far as things going wrong with the car and not getting any help from the dealership because of denial to honor warranty because of my tuning etc.. Plus it was my first Dodge and being used to Fords excellent reliability I wasn't sure I was not headed for disaster soon with the Chrysler product. I mean everybody assured me I was gonna be sorry. Well, I wasn't but maybe I was lucky? Anyhow, the whole idea of having Ford Racing supported tuners, exhausts, accessories and all is very reassuring and cool. Ford give's us the bigger hammer (Coyote engine!) and the license to put the hammer down with full factory racing support. What on earth could be cooler than that??
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
joe95 gt
2nd Gear Member

was wondering about this also!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I also got lucky having a service manager that has a drag car and used to run an SVT performance shop. He tunes cars himself and supports the enthusiasts within reason. If you blow an engine racing your mustang, his stand on that is, Ford sold you a car that shows it being tracked in over half of the advertisements, then you should be covered when you blow an engine while racing. They also said that after the 3 year ford racing warranty runs out, my extended warranty is still good as long as I stick with Ford racing products. That is a good feeling since I daily drive my car and run the hell out of it when I get the chance.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
I agree with the previous posts. Don't know that you can actually feel the gains in the higher rpms but I can definitely feel it in the lower rpms. I can be in 2nd gear roll @ 20+ mph, hit the gas, and it will destroy the tires getting sideways. Lol. Lots of fun. 1st gear is useless. No traction at all. If you plan on tracking the car, you will need to get you a set of drag radials.
Do you have the 3.73 gear? Which are your rear tires size?
I'm interested on the ProCal because is the only tune covered by warranty.
But of what you mentioned about the 1st. gear useless. Maybe I need to think about it twice.
I ask you about your tires. Because I have read that the 5.0 stock with 275/35 combined with the 3.73 is the same issue. That is why I chosed 275/40-19 instead.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Do you have the 3.73 gear? Which are your rear tires size?
I'm interested on the ProCal because is the only tune covered by warranty.
But of what you mentioned about the 1st. gear useless. Maybe I need to think about it twice.
I ask you about your tires. Because I have read that the 5.0 stock with 275/35 combined with the 3.73 is the same issue. That is why I chosed 275/40-19 instead.
I have the track pack which has 3.73s and 255/40 R19 tires.

Quick Reply: FRPP Pro-Cal users...feedback requested.