Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Pro-Cal automatic users?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Pro-Cal automatic users?

If anyone with an automatic 5.0 is using the FRPP Pro-Cal here, how were the performance gains and would you buy it again or recommend something else tuner wise? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Pro Cal

I have a 2013 GT/CS with automatic. Awesome car but though fast, with the 3:15 gears I wanted just a little more get up and go. I got the ProCal through dealer where I bought it. I would say it was very noticeable improvement and would recommed it.
I am now thinking gear change, 3:55 or 3:73 and yes the new ProCal will allow you to adjust for gear change. I will do this gear change at dealer and let them do the ProCal gear change input.

ProCal worth the money.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I have a 2013 GT/CS with automatic. Awesome car but though fast, with the 3:15 gears I wanted just a little more get up and go. I got the ProCal through dealer where I bought it. I would say it was very noticeable improvement and would recommed it.
I am now thinking gear change, 3:55 or 3:73 and yes the new ProCal will allow you to adjust for gear change. I will do this gear change at dealer and let them do the ProCal gear change input.

ProCal worth the money.
I don't believe the Pro Cal allows for gear changes if the gear wasn't an option with the car. Since the auto only comes with the 3.15's that requires an aftermarket tuner to compensate for the gears.

And I say Pro Cal not worth it on the auto since it does nothing for the transmission shift points.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You could do a workaround as the Procal allows you to adjust tire revs per minute so, if you did a little figgerin' you could get the speedo in the ballpark.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Pro Cal

Call this for your questions: Call the Ford Racing techline at 1-800-FORD-788

Automatic transmission calibration is an area where Ford Racing sets itself apart from other "tuners." We generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels we feel would be unacceptable to a customer.

Here is a web link to read up.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...les.asp?id=134

And if you call Ford Racing they will tell you that with the Procal you can do a gear change. I know others will say that Ford Racing does not know what they are talking about...REALLY,,, they know more?

I got mine about 6 months ago...don't know about older ones but i will this summer do a 3:55 or 3:77 through dealer and oh,,,warranty.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
Call this for your questions: Call the Ford Racing techline at 1-800-FORD-788

Automatic transmission calibration is an area where Ford Racing sets itself apart from other "tuners." We generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels we feel would be unacceptable to a customer.

Here is a web link to read up.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...les.asp?id=134

And if you call Ford Racing they will tell you that with the Procal you can do a gear change. I know others will say that Ford Racing does not know what they are talking about...REALLY,,, they know more?

I got mine about 6 months ago...don't know about older ones but i will this summer do a 3:55 or 3:77 through dealer and oh,,,warranty.
Thanks for that link. I really enjoyed talking to the service tech at that location. He was very knowledgable and helpful. Really tried to sell me the FRPP Supercharger kit! That would be nuts. Thing is no matter what you can only get so far, safely or unsafely for your engine, by tuning alone. If you're leaning that hard towards possibly damaging your engine by trying to get too much done by tuning alone you're way better off with a Supercharger and a safe tune. At least, that's how it was related to me by Ford Racing. When it's all said and done I may just go with the Pro-cal and post back with my results. For now, I got my Roush axle back on the way and should have it installed this week so I'm pretty exited about that. This car is coming together nicely!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Pro Cal

Currently have Pro Cal.
But as another post of mine, giving serious thought to a Roush supercharger. Soonest would be next summer after the new 2015 come out.
I would of course go to Roush and let them install and tune at their facility.
Cost about $7500 give or take for 575 hp for auto.

Decision will be at that time, supercharger or,,,,,trade for 2015...
probably will go with supercharger though.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Mustangergt, tell me, when you first started the engine up after the Pro-Cal tuning could you hear a difference in the engine vs what it sounded like before? I ask this because I know when I put a Diablosport 93CAI Performance tune on my R/T Challenger the engine sounded just a tad or two louder, deeper and meaner. It also sounded like it picked up a bit of a lumpy idle like it was cammed up. Once I dialed in the throttle boost, shift firmness and deleted the economy 4cyl mode I NEVER wanted to go back!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Pro Cal

Slammintone

I don't know if sound change cause I do have Borla's S-type on, but,
I will say this. When I first got the car and up to installing the pro cal, I really could not get the wheels to spin with the 3:15 gears in back and traction control off. But after installing the pro cal they will spin easily.
Ford says lots of tq added down in lower rmp range. That is good for me.

Don't get me wrong. I almost got went with C&L CAI and their tune.
I had a 2011 v6 with , bbk longtube, x pipe, C&L CAI and Bama tunes and Ford racing 3:73 gears. That car would smoke the back tires.

I went with Pro Cal at this time for warranty and to many stories of #8 cylinder issues.

I am very happy with it and would recommend it. It is not disappointing.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mustangergt. I tell you my 2013 will already roast the rear tires and all I've done so far is install new wheels and tires. It was roasting the factory rubber as well so, I think I'll be happy, heck, I'm already happy so I guess I'll be even more so with any noticable power gain or absence of throttle lag or whatever. Ever since the 1200 mile mark the car has been making more and more power on it's own it seems like every other time I drive it. I'm knocking on wood as I say it but, she really pulls like a train already, she runs quiet with no engine ticks or anything and as of 1750 miles the engine has not burned a drop of oil. A little more break in and she'll be ready for that tune!