Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installing boss 302 LCA's on 14 GT ..cause a brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

Default Installing boss 302 LCA's on 14 GT ..cause a brake problem

I did the install yesterday upgrading to the Boss 302 LCA's from American Muscle. When I test drove it I smelled the passenger rear brake smoking I can hear it is definitely on. I did not remove the caliper when doing the install. I just used a screwdriver to get brake cable off and back on. It seems fine on the drivers side but not the passenger.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

You probably didn't put the cable back on correctly. The end piece of the cable needs to be turned and sit flush into the little cradle on the caliper. Also, make sure that the cable sheath is installed correctly with the clip. Basically, if a piece(s) of the cable and sheath are not installed correctly it will pull on the manual brake which is the same as applying the e-brake inside the car. It should be easy enough to uninstall and re-install correctly.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevStangZona
I did the install yesterday upgrading to the Boss 302 LCA's from American Muscle. When I test drove it I smelled the passenger rear brake smoking I can hear it is definitely on. I did not remove the caliper when doing the install. I just used a screwdriver to get brake cable off and back on. It seems fine on the drivers side but not the passenger.
Originally Posted by BrazenStang
You probably didn't put the cable back on correctly. The end piece of the cable needs to be turned and sit flush into the little cradle on the caliper. Also, make sure that the cable sheath is installed correctly with the clip. Basically, if a piece(s) of the cable and sheath are not installed correctly it will pull on the manual brake which is the same as applying the e-brake inside the car. It should be easy enough to uninstall and re-install correctly.
^ This is exactly what I was thinking. I would recommend popping the wheel back off and going over the installation again. You may find something very simple as the fix!

Hope this helps. Let us know if that doesn't work. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Agree completely....Check that out first while you grease up the LCAs and before you pull the caliper off.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:34 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Maybe the parking brake is stuck on that caliper?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

thanks I will look again tonight. I did not drive it today. Here is a picture of the emergency brake linkage if I can get it to work. Operator error on the forum. Just can't seem to get images here from google photos

I just asked my IT person and he helped me out. Here is the linkage as it is now.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:05 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

now underneath at the lca I think it is just hanging
Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

I will post a picture of the linkage at the lca
Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

got it using imgur to uplaod pictures.

here it is a the lca
Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 PM
KevStangZona
1st Gear Member

is the metal tab supposed to be in the clip at the lca and frame? I don't think it has the length. I did take pictures before I messed with it too I will have to look at them.
thanks again
Kevin

Quick Reply: Installing boss 302 LCA's on 14 GT ..cause a brake problem