Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...

Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
circpro1

Default RE: Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...

More bad news + some good news. Ford will not sell you the Sirius receiver without a VIN number from a Ford that has it installed. You have have friend who has a F150 and is not using the Sirius, he can give you his VIN, and state the unit was damaged or stolen and they will sell you. The reason is... There is a major fight between visontek, Ford, and Sirius over who is going to profit from the sale. Now for the good news, I talked to a company that has developed a unit that can be controlled by the exsisting factory radio. The company website is http://www.radiosandmore.com. They said the unit will be ready in about 4 weeks. They have several of the F150 sirius units on the shelf, but they are not allowed to sell them without a valid VIN showing Sirius installed.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:41 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Installed mine here:

[IMG]local://upfiles/24825/5E79306FA9B9432EB1510C247F5D684D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM
zoso8203

I just purchased the Sirius kit for Ford stereos with an AUX button. Its fairly straightforward to install. The down link processor installs anywhere in the trunk. The cable is basically a pass through for the two existing connections to the factory stereo. A cable then runs to the trunk to the down link processor. The antenna (which has a special plastic clip attached to the standard antenna connector) plugs into the DLP in the trunk. The pass through part of the cable is only about six inches long. The extension to run to the DLP in the trunk is about fifteen feet long. So, its basically a simple mounting of the unit in the trunk, running the antenna under the rear window weather stripping from the roof down to the trunk, then removing the factory stereo and plugging the existing plugs into the new cable, the new cable into the stereo, and running the extension under the center console and rear seats to the trunk. All plug and play, no wire stripping or splicing. You will need a dash trim removal tool, but other than that just a socket set and screwdriver. Make note of the Sirius ID number on the bottom of the DLP before installing as you will need it to activate the unit. Also, the DLP generates a fair amount of heat, so it should open to the air, not covered up by trunk carpeting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40978/0C63C8FAFE66482DAE8E186E8B6002F7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40978/967355F937B246BA85959EF4FE902DD9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40978/F7590EBF428E44F9AF53AE0A7045F22F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 AM
myfins1

Where did you buy the parts from? Do you have part numbers? I was getting the run around when I was looking. I would have had to go with a fleabay setup for $350. I would have rather gone with factory for a while. But seeing the cash, I decided to get the Kenwood double Din radio wich was $280 new. And Then I already had the sirius tuner for kenwood and ipod connector. So I will have more functionality. I spent two days calling around and got the run around from Ford and the online site selling the ford sirius tuners. Said it won't work. But they did tell me how to make the harness. But I would have had to find the tuner somewhere else.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
zoso8203

I can't see the part number anymore after the installation, but I bought the kit from eBay. It is made by Vesteon I believe and had Ford part number stickers on it. I believe they are the OEM suppliers for Ford. I paid about $250 for the kit (processor, cable, and antenna). I imagine the seller has some sort of connection with Ford parts as I have also heard that Ford is not yet releasing them.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 PM
airwalk

Did you install this in a 05+ model? I bought what looks like the same kit almost 2 years ago for my 04 as they didn't have it available at the dealer when I bought the car, and it looks the same. The reason I ask, I'm considering trading-in for a new 'stang but I don't want to lose my factory Sirius, as it's not available here in Canada from the dealer yet. Wherever you bought it, did it say it was only compatible with 05+ or earlier models too? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 AM
circpro1

I see 2 for sale on eBay right now
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 AM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: circpro1

I installed the unit today from the 2006 Ford F150. It worked perfectly. I press the aux button, and the Sirius radio appears. I referred to the Ford 06 manual on the Ford website to get operation instructions. I am joyed that I don't have to have an aftermarket deck or a control box sticking out. I don't understand why Ford doesn't share this information and start selling the recievers. I'm sure there would be many buyers benefiting Sirius and Ford. We wonder why US car makers are fading fast, they are still unresponsive to consumer desires.
My friend and I have realized no one seems to share this info with you or they just don't know. His GM came with XM but he wanted Sirius, he did some research and found a company that sells a part to convert the XM to Sirius using his factory radio without any external unit. I also found out about using XM through the AUX on the Shaker through this forum. The car stereo place didn't offer the info and neither did the manufacturer of the Satellite radio or any place that sells them.

Its almost like this 'underground network' of people that do this.

As far as the mounting, I have XM with an external unit, I used a Vehicle specific mount from pro-fit international. They work for both XM and Sirius. I can email a picture. For some reason, its too large to upload to the forum.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 AM
redneckangaroo

I got the original from the dealer 4 months after I went through the mill trying to get them to honor their agreement to supply me with the sirius reciever for my 2006 GT at the time of purchase.
they want to now charge me $200 to install it , my answer was forget it and just give me the radio.
I now have to install it.
I have the shaker 1000 with the 6 stack cd
Questions,
Do I need to remove the factory sound system or can all the connections be done in the trunk?
do you have more detailed instructions for A dumb AUSSIE.
I would appreciate any help you could give
Thanks in anticipation mate

Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

I went a different route - I replaced Skipper 500 with a Kenwood DPX701 HU, it has Sirius receiver option, two additional inputs and most importantly a USB port, among other goodies. It looked great, worked great, sounded awesome with my entire CD collection (500+ CDs). It took a little work to get everything to work (I kept stock amps and speakers) but it was the whole thing looks awesome.

I just sold my car and pulled the setup so I'm selling the whole system (just search for DPX701 in the Parts for Sale forum). PM me if interested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26821/CEAC94CDF06F4027AC197B124C0CFDF6.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Sirius in 2006 Mustang...