Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ground when running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default Ground when running?

Hey guys I am installing a remote entry/starter in my car, but one of the wires says "connect to ground when running." What is the ground when running? Is it a specific wire? Or can i just connect it to any old ground? thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ground when running?

I think it just means connect to a point that will be grounded when the car is running.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

that should be a wire comming out of the module that is used to turn other stuff on or off with the use of a relay. This is usefull for example in turning off a shock sensor on an alarm so that the engine vibrations do not set it off, but allow it to still monitor the doors for security.

How much install experience do you have with sound/security? You need to understand that doing a bad install on a deck or amp can cause some problems, but doing a bad install on an alarm or remote start can cause some really big problems.........
Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Well I couldnt get it to work so i took it in toa shop. And it turns out the relays i had were wrong but all the wiring was correct. The ground when running he said didnt need to be connected. Well its all good now, I now have remote locks. The remote starter has yet to work, still on that one
Old 07-05-2007, 03:49 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

there is really only one kind of relay used for security, I find it hard to believe that you had the wrong ones. The door locks in mustangs are a 5-wire system that can be a pia if ya don't understand them.

Whats up with the remote start?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I cant remember what he said about the releays but one involved a single something and the other was double.... or somethign along those lines.And the remote starter just needed the clutch bypassed which he did today, he didnt have time yesterday. But its all good now
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

oh, oh good, you bypassed the clutch........... Is he wiring any kind of nuetral safety switch or are you just lowering your deductable?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 PM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

lol, *bang* *crash* -into a wall- seen it happen....
Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Well how else are you going to wire up a remote starter? Jam a pole inbetween the seat and the clutch to hold it down? I cant see me forgetting to put it in neutral or not putting the ebrake on. In order to remote start you have to put it in ready mode which involves putting the ebrake on. And then you have to push a button then turn the key off but the engine remains running. Then you get out (if it was still in gear the car would just stall whne you get out) then you lock the doors and the car shuts off.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

ok then I didn't know you were getting one set up for a stick, that is different.

Ya gotta understand that I was expecting the lowest common denominator on here and expecting a 16 yr old that has his buddy rigging it up under the shade tree.

Quick Reply: Ground when running?