Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

custom ipod holder...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
mustanglp87
1st Gear Member

Default custom ipod holder...what do you think?

Since im getting a head unit that has a touch screen and can control my ipod, im thinking about making a custom place to set my ipod. so heres my idea....im my 93 gt, i want to put the ipod in my center console right where the ash tray/cigarette lighter is. so im gonna relocate my cigarette lighter to somewhere hidden so that i dont have a bunch of wires (like ipod charger and radar detector) hanging in the middle of my console. and then i want to shape the ashtray area to fit my ipod snugly. does anybody have any ideas on what i could use to shape that area? i was thinking bondo maybe...i have no experience at all with fiberglass so thats pretty much out. any ideas would be awesome...thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 AM
mustanglp87
1st Gear Member

Default RE: custom ipod holder...what do you think?

no input at all anybody?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I made a charging station for my cell phone a while back. I cut the holes for thewires to go through as well as a small one for the belt clip to go through. I glued the phone holder where I wanted and then put the phone in it(after the glue dried of course) with the charging cord plugged in. I then glued the cordto the dash so that it would not move when I put the phone down or removed it. I then used bondo to fill the area around the cord and holder and smoothed it out. It looked pretty good when I was done and at least my dad thought it came with the truck. I smoothed my radar detector into my clock in a similar fashon, I am not sure what page it is on in my sig.......
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 AM
mustanglp87
1st Gear Member

that sounds pretty cool...i think i saw where you put the radar detector in your dash where the clock used to be....isnt it an sn95? i wish i had a cool place like that to put my radar detector. but the ipod "dock" should turn out pretty good. im gonna get started on it pretty soon and if it turns out good, ill post pictures...if not youll never hear about it haha.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
mustaaaang

pics?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 AM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

if the touch screen unit is going to control the ipod i am sure it will also display the text from the ipod

why you want to mount the ipod ? just leave it inside the glove box or center console
you don't need to see it anymore