Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Center Channel Speaker?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default Center Channel Speaker?

I have an 01 Chrysler Sebring LXI with 7 speaker Infinity system. Anyway, I replaced the front door speakers as well as the center channel dash speaker with Memphis Audio PR series speakers. As I turned up the volume, Ive noticed that the center speaker vibrates quite a bit. I dont know if maybe the speaker is blown out (which Is why I replaced it initially) or if its maybe just overpowered?

Does this center channel really do anything for me? Is it worth me leaving connected? If it is in fact ripped, I would imagine that the small 3 1/2 inch speaker can not handle the power, correct?? What do you guys think about this?

Jim
Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Center Channel Speaker?

might be overpowered, or maybe the screws arent fully tight?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

You really didn't need to replace it to begin with.

You're car doesn't have dolby pro logic or any sort of digital sound processing. The music you listen too will be in stereo.

Why did you decide to go ahead with the memphis speakers?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Also, I'm assuming you paid for installation also?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

No Installation, when Im not in school Im a part time mechanic. I went ahead with the memphis speakers because I was really screwing around with the fade and balance of my car and determined that one speaker in particular is ripped or damaged more so than the others. At that point I HAD to replace them and just wound up buying the memphis. It was the driver side door speaker, so I pulled it apart, installed the speaker and tested it. I only had time for one, Im doing the other side today.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:33 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Good, those cars are way to easy to replace speakers in and I didn't want you getting taken......

When you are ready to install a better sounding system, let us know. A sub and an amp to power the speakers/sub would be a great addition.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

I had to do a little adapting for the speakers because the universal adapter plates wernt so universal. I used scotch "foam" double stick tape to prevent rattles and soldered and shrinkwrapped every connection. Alot of places say butt connectors are fine but they have a tendancy to corrode in environments like inside doors.

Im thinking about replacing the rear 6X9's this week too because the fronts sound so much better than the rears do. 99$ for the pair. I am hell bent on keeping that head unit until it gives me problems. When it does, Im going top of the line Pioneer or Alpine lol. I am considering adding two 10's to the car as well, because the bass hits are not all that clean with the 6x9's currently in the car, however I will replace them first to see if it makes as much of a difference as the fronts did.

Jim
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Those factory Infinity systems have somewhat of a crossover built into the amps. I just found this out when I was messing around with my LHS.

It's a god aweful crossover setting too, but your door speakers are getting the lows and that center 3" is getting most the highs. I am not wasting my time putting in a 2 channel (nor do I have one sitting around right now) into this car so I amp just running my CDT mid-woofers in the doors and the factory 3" in the dash, sounds "ok" until you really crank it, plus it's hard to hear that little 3" over the Tempest with500+ watts on tap.

With the mids replaced though it definatly sounds a little better with the CDT's. Throw your factory 3" back in and see if you have similiar results, somehow it sounded better to me, maybe not sounded better, but there was less distortion.