Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New system install with amp rack and sub!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I would have gone with tech flex rather then the loom, it takes it from looking good and clean to lookin sexy.... I used it in my stang and will use it in my truck probably as well.

I would try to slide a piece or two of mdf under the board your amps are mounted too, and then use the same number of pieces of mdf to shim your cover board out the same amount so the amp will still fit in the holes. You will probably loose a little of the smooth flow on the edges of the cover board and may need to re-cut a piece to fit but you would able to run the wires under the board the amps are on. Just a thought.

You have a little bit more experience the the average DIY'r, where did you get it from?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Is that sub and others going into mustangs made for an enclosure that small?

Its been a long time since I've built a sub box. But back in the day, we used to go for about 2 cubic feet for 1 12 inch sub. No way you have 0.5 cubic feet in that box.
The sub box is surprisingly large, there is a lot of space back in that corner and it's molded to use every bit of it (see photo). It's supposed to be 1.23 cubic feet, while the sub specs 1.25 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure. What I can tell you is that it hits amazingly hard!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails New system install with amp rack and sub!-dsc07262.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I would have gone with tech flex rather then the loom, it takes it from looking good and clean to lookin sexy.... I used it in my stang and will use it in my truck probably as well.
Thanks for the tip with the tech flex, I had not seen that stuff before. Great find!

I would try to slide a piece or two of mdf under the board your amps are mounted too, and then use the same number of pieces of mdf to shim your cover board out the same amount so the amp will still fit in the holes. You will probably loose a little of the smooth flow on the edges of the cover board and may need to re-cut a piece to fit but you would able to run the wires under the board the amps are on. Just a thought.
I tried to do some rerouting yesterday to find that the power, ground, and one RCA are a little on the short side to come into the sides of the amp rack. I was able to clean it up quite a bit but it's not 100%. Perhaps I can build some sort of carpeted tray or sub-floor behind the rack to cover them. Adding anything to the top or bottom of the rack is not going to work, I really have to squeeze the thing in there at an angle to get it to fit as it is.

You have a little bit more experience the the average DIY'r, where did you get it from?
Back in the day I had a friend whose brother owned a car stereo shop. I spent a lot of time hanging around and helping out here an there. Was enough to learn the basics of working with MDF, carpeting, and good install practices.

Tim
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

beautiful install
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Icemizer

Very nice install. Although its hard to tell from the picks did you leave enough breathing room for the amps? Thet look packed in pretty tight.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Great job man, that looks really clean.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

it's as if it came from factory!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

i love the install looks great, do u have dimmensions from ur amp rack

Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Vovovovan
3rd Gear Member

wow, i love your system, it looks amazingly clean and proper
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i love the install looks great, do u have dimmensions from ur amp rack

Thanks
Here you go:

Tim
Attached Thumbnails New system install with amp rack and sub!-amp-wall-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by tdbrown75; 02-04-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New system install with amp rack and sub!