Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Radio/Speaker help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
ponyboyi99i

Default Radio/Speaker help!!

Ok so my problem is when I turn on my radio i hear a humming sound from my rear speaker. I have a 96 ford mustang gt. I was wondering if its the speaker, radio or dial problem!

thankssss
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
thestangbros

did it just start happening or are these new speakers?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
ponyboyi99i

This has been going on for quite some time but I'm not sure how old the speakers are. The funny thing is when I accelerate I Hear the humming get louder. What I usually do is turn the radio up and the music drowns out the humming to the point I faintly hear it.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
thestangbros

when the car is off does it still make that noise? i had a problem where it did that same thing. when i accelerated the noise got louder but if the car was off it didnt make any noise. i found out that it was a wire going to my radio getting grounded out.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
thestangbros

if you cant figure out what wires are being grounded out or why that sound is coming to it the easy fix would be to buy a small amp to run those speakers cuz then you will be getting the sound from the amp from rca cables and that will by pass the speaker wires the could be causing the problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM
ponyboyi99i

Yea I only get it when I'm accelerating. When it warms up I will check if there is a wire grounding but till then I'm going to look into an AMP. Thanks man
Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

You'll want to make sure that your stereo has RCA outs before spending money on an amp. Also, adding an amp may or may not fix the problem; I had a Pioneer radio a while back that had a ground loop problem in the RCA pre-amp outs as well as the amplified channels.

Personally, I would get hold of a small speaker that you don't really care about and start tracing back wiring; start from the radio end and work your way to the speaker. Connect the test speaker and see if it buzzes or not. If it still buzzes and you are right next to the radio, then you know it's coming from the radio and not the speaker wiring. If it's clean, keep moving down the wiring; once you find the spot that doesn't buzz, start moving in the other direction until you find the wiring fault.

Another option if you simply can't or don't want to do all that checking is just to run new speaker wire from the radio harness to the speaker, but once again, make sure that it's not an issue with the radio. It would be a shame to run all that wire only to find out that you haven't fixed the issue.

Oh, and by the way, getting an amp means you'll probably be running RCA cables anyway, so if you're going to run wires, you might as well just run new speaker wires and fix the problem without the cost of an amp (unless you were planning on getting the amp all along)!