Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Right front speaker blown

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Default Right front speaker blown

I have the Mach 460 sound system. My right front speaker is blown out. It it used to rattle when the bass was loud. Now it rattles when there's ANY substantial bass even low volume. Anyways, I want to just get the same stock speaker. The dealership will charge way too much so is there anywhere else I can get the same speaker? If not what would I search for on eBay?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
wilburgtwoot

Don't worry about buying the crappy stock speakers again. All you need to do is buy any 5x7 or 6x8 speaker, and you can put it right in where the old speaker was. I replaced my door speakers with Alpine Type S 5x7/6x8 speakers, which are not expensive online, and they sound a 100 times better in my opinion, and are much more durable. The speakers I use come 2 in a pack, so you can replace both sides if you choose, it would sound better and it's pretty easy to do.

Here's a link to the speakers I use
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPS-507-ALPINE-5...item1e5b23ef85

But you can buy any brand you want, just make sure they are 5x7/6x8 speakers. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wilburgtwoot; 04-22-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I think I just stepped into the twilight zone.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

if you still have the stock radio in the car then you are limited to a factory speaker as they use an 8 ohm woofer rather then a 4 ohm full ranger driver which is what everyone sells. If you have replaced the radio then you can put what ever you want to in there as long as you bypass the amp, which is easily done.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I still have the stock radio (the cd changer one) and I'm not about to start putting money into audio. not yet at least. So it looks like I'm back to the original question, how do I get the oem speaker or a similar speaker or speakers that would work better or the same while still using the stock radio?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Well, if you're really set on the stock, call a couple junkyards.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Wow, why didn't I think of that? that would be cheap as hell too. What's wrong with the stock speakers? I rode in a brandy *** new Beamer the other day and the sound system sucked compared to my Mach 460. The volume is incredible for stock, while still retaining clarity. Bass is also outstanding for a stock system. At least systems that I've encountered. My dad has all kinds of woofers and amps and alpine **** in his van and I'd rather listen to mine (it is all pretty old though). I'm not saying it's the best around or anything obviously, but I'm satisfied with it. And if I can go to a junkyard and spend $10 for a new speaker and still be satisfied, what's the problem with that?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Robobble
Wow, why didn't I think of that? that would be cheap as hell too. What's wrong with the stock speakers? I rode in a brandy *** new Beamer the other day and the sound system sucked compared to my Mach 460. The volume is incredible for stock, while still retaining clarity. Bass is also outstanding for a stock system. At least systems that I've encountered. My dad has all kinds of woofers and amps and alpine **** in his van and I'd rather listen to mine (it is all pretty old though). I'm not saying it's the best around or anything obviously, but I'm satisfied with it. And if I can go to a junkyard and spend $10 for a new speaker and still be satisfied, what's the problem with that?
None at all. But if you had planned on buying from the dealer, there's better aftermarket options for the same price or less. Just make sure you really look at the speaker before buying. Actually you may even want to remove that doors trim and pull out the old speaker right before you go to get it. The junkyard may agree to let you hook it up real quick right there to make sure it's not blown/water damaged as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

what should I look for as far as damage? You mentioned water damage, how would I tell this? Would the speaker just not work?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Robobble
what should I look for as far as damage? You mentioned water damage, how would I tell this? Would the speaker just not work?

I have no idea what your speakers are made of so hard to tell ya. Any kind of rust/corrosion on the metal or stains (like it was once wet) on the speaker itself, etc.. I wouldn't buy it if they don't let you hook it up on their lot, ask when you call if you can do that. If nobody will let ya, and it's cheap enough, pick the best looking one and just don't leave until ya hook it up lol.

Quick Reply: Right front speaker blown