Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Mach system bypass with FDO2B help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
kb1794

Default Mach system bypass with FDO2B help...

Hi everyone, I am installing an aftermarket head unit into a 98 cobra with the factory amplifier. After searching around for awhille I went out and purchased the F2ODB harness adapter to bypass the factory amps. I'm having a couple problems....

1) Originally my CD player and tape deck stopped working. It would not even power on. The only thing that had power was the clock, but from my understanding that gets power from a different wire. Well I decided to go ahead and just purchase a new headunit and do away with the factory tape/cd player. Now that I have torn the dash apart I have discovered the "switched ignition" wire has no power to it on the gray harness that plugs into the stock cd player, or on the gray harness that is supposed to bypass the amps. ( the one tucked to the side) so I checked the fuses under the driver side dash, and the engine bay. They were all good...( I'm not sure which fuse it is, dont have schematic). Are there fuses somewherer else? or what could be causing this??..

2) Ok onto my second problem, I've got almost everything hooked up on the harness. (I ran a jumper wire to bypass the switched ignition) The only speakers that are working right now are the tweeters. The wires that are NOT hooked up coming out of my cd player I have; blue/white, blue, light blue, and orange and white..... whats left on the harness that plugs into the vehicle is; blue/white, blue, orange/black, orange/white, and orange. ( I can take pictures if someone needs me to). So which of these wires need to be hooked up in order to bypass the amps?

3) Also there are 2 male gray plugs that can be plugged into the FDBO2. The original that was plugged into the factory cd player and the one that was tucked away to the side. The one that was tucked away to the side only has 5 wires going into the plug. I believe I am suppsed to use the one that was tucked away, however there are not wires where the 2 blue wires go from the FDBO2

I really appreciate any help as I'm stuck right now. I've tried fixing both of these issues with no luck.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
kb1794

Ok, I've got the power prblem figured out, however I am still only getting sound out of the tweeters....
I hooked up the blue/white wires, which go to a solid blue wire on the vehicle side of the harness, and I hooked up the 2 solid blue wires....still nothing....

Heres a few pics:

Is it possible my factory amps could be fried??
Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
dan02gt

Given the fact you have a Cobra I would assume your car has the Mach 460. I haven't messed with the Mach 460 much, but I believe that your woofers are powered by the two amps under the rear deck of your car and the tweeters run off the head unit. It stands to reason that if your ignition ACC is not providing power to the head unit that the amps are also not getting the power to turn on. Do you have the amp turn on wire on your head unit connected?

You said you want to bypass the factory amps? Does that mean you intend to run everything off the head unit? This may be a little hard to do. You will need to wire 1 tweeter and woofer to each channel of your head unit. Then you have to figure out how to get the right load (resistance) on the head unit and cross everything over correctly. This is going to be a nightmare of wiring, rigging, and probably sound terrible.

I would suggest you use the factory amps or replace everything. You could replace the speakers with 6x8 coaxials and run them off the head unit.