Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stock mach 460 no bass

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

The wires plugged into the deck are in all the way. I checked that a month or 2 ago. I guess I'll just try replacing the amps and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Rayraytdog

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Saleen with the mach 460 system. Found and put a factory head unit back in the car after getting it and having a aftermarket unit (wiring was rigged pretty bad, but no factory wires were cut), which had no bass at all and only tweeters and I believe rear speakers work also, but no lower doors. I Replaced the rear amps with good ones and got nowhere. Have checked wiring, including power to the amps, all seems well, only thought now is that the factory headunit has an issue. I am getting a new aftermarket unit next week along with the integration/adaptor harness and do it correctly. Fingers are crossed that it will use the amps and such correctly and will solve problem. Otherwise plan B is to wire speakers directly to the headunit and bypass the amps. Bad audio since I've owned it, and its time for a change lol
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Alright, so I got in some new/used amps and got some different, but not better results. Got the new amps all hooked up, and plugged in the wiring harness pictured in the first post and turned on the system. I was greeted by popping crackling noises, so I turned the car back off. I took a closer look at the wiring harness and found it indeed did have some aftermarket wiring spliced into the harness.

I followed this wiring up and it spliced into the wiring harnesses for the 2 stock rear subs. I'm thinking this somehow bypassed the stock amps when the previous owner had aftermarket stuff, so I cut out the non-stock wiring, taped it up and turned on the car again.

I now was met by bass only, and only from the rear subs, and it was a tad crackly at that. No sound what so ever from any other speaker. (it's never simple is it) I unplugged that harness again so I could go back to my normal bassless music and tackle it another day.

I unplugged the harness to the amps again, turned on the radio, and no sound what so ever from any speakers. I tried switching back to the old amps with the same result. So I've made things worse, any help?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

May be worth nothing the subs appeared to be aftermarket brand. I didn't look closely at the brand, but I remember it looked like kodak.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

You might try running an Ipod into the amps, you need a "Y" mini plug to RCA that you can get from Radio shack. This will tell you if the amps and speakers are hooked up correctly.

If these are OK, you have a problem with the head or the wiring to the head.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Don't have an ipod, but could borrow one I suppose. Would the iPod drive all the speakers if hooked up to the amp? Where would I hook it to
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

great idea as long but the stock amps do not have rca input on them so its not an good here.

The wiring to the stock woofers in back was probably going down to a LOC or line out converter. That would have taken the high power speaker signal and knocked it down so that an aftermarket amp could have been run off the stock deck. The stock woofers are 8 ohm and not that great of performers anyway so hooking them up to any aftermarket amps would have not made any sence.

the wiring added might have looked like this? http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, I think on mine it was spliced into the black wires and the red wires on the 'mach data cable.' They had the 2 wires spliced into the 2 black wires running up to 1 sub, and the 2 wires from the red side splicing into the other sub. I pulled the non-stock wires out and they weren't connected to anything else.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

a few pics would save alot of time.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Pics are on the first page, i'll repaste them though.
Alright, I took a few shots of the suspect wiring.

here's a closeup

and a shot from either side so you know where we're looking at. This is in the trunk between the amps

You can see where the wires splice into the stock red and black wires. Each spliced pair goes directly to either sub.

Quick Reply: Stock mach 460 no bass