Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub install clarification pls

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Speed Buggy

Default Sub install clarification pls

I have a 2013 GT base model. I want to use my factory base stereo for now because so far I'm not liking the look of the aftermarket dash adapters. I saw a thread on this the other day but now I can't find it, and it didn't completely answer my question. This should be easy.

I want to add a one or two channel amp, and a single 12" or maybe 2x10, havent decided yet. Anyway, I believe I heard you can get the signal by tapping the wires to the rear deck speakers. Do you do both sides, or is just one side all you need since it's mono anyway? Could someone explain exactly how these get wired to the amp? Or point me to a diagram?

At some point I'll probably upgrade everything else, but I'll start here for now...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Van217

You can get a signal from the rear speaker wires. There are actually a couple of ways to do this. One way is to buy a speaker to line level rca converter. Basically all this does is turn your speaker wires into rca cables through a converter box that allows you to adjust the level going into your amp. You can actually buy this part at best buy. Here is an example of one from crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC8...che-LOC80.html
Another thing they make is just an rca end with speaker wires on the other side. No converter. The problem I've experienced with this is that there is a lot of noise and unwanted sounds coming through the subs. This would be the least desirable route.
What I would do is make sure you have an amp that has a hi-level/ speaker level input. This just means the amp hooks straight up to the speakers and will filter out all of the high signals from the speakers and use only the lows.
Once you have that all taken care of its just a matter of hooking up power, ground, and your remote turn on to the amp.
I would tap into both speakers. Every amp I have seen has a left and right input. Depending on what amp you buy the directions in there will tell you how the different ways to hook it up.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Speed Buggy

Thanks a ton thats exaxtly what I neesed!

Originally Posted by Van217
You can get a signal from the rear speaker wires. There are actually a couple of ways to do this. One way is to buy a speaker to line level rca converter. Basically all this does is turn your speaker wires into rca cables through a converter box that allows you to adjust the level going into your amp. You can actually buy this part at best buy. Here is an example of one from crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC8...che-LOC80.html
Another thing they make is just an rca end with speaker wires on the other side. No converter. The problem I've experienced with this is that there is a lot of noise and unwanted sounds coming through the subs. This would be the least desirable route.
What I would do is make sure you have an amp that has a hi-level/ speaker level input. This just means the amp hooks straight up to the speakers and will filter out all of the high signals from the speakers and use only the lows.
Once you have that all taken care of its just a matter of hooking up power, ground, and your remote turn on to the amp.
I would tap into both speakers. Every amp I have seen has a left and right input. Depending on what amp you buy the directions in there will tell you how the different ways to hook it up.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Van217

one more thing go to www.the12volt.com and they have write ups and everything you could ever want to know about car stereo installation. Glad to help.