Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

adding tweeters 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default adding tweeters 2013

Has anyone added tweeters to a recent model with the Shaker system? Where did you put them? Do they work well?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

I found someone who put them in the A-pillars, which is where I want them. He did that by moving the mirror control behind the window controls, which is non-ideal I think.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
David Deloach

Im installing a component system in th front doors. They are 6x8 size. All you have to do is buy 2 things. 1) a 5 1/4" component speaker set. 2) A Metra CK-5600 adapter. The 5 1/4" mid range will screw directly in. for the tweeter you will have to make a small circular cut in the adapter and it will fit perfect. This in my opinion is the best option because you don't have to modify your car, and it will even sound good with the stock radio.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

David, please let us know how it sounds when you get it done. That does sound easier than the mod I was considering.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
David Deloach

Ok I will. i just got the speakers(MM5251) today. I should have the adapter by friday. I will install as soon as i get it. I will upload photos and let you know the resluts. Keep in mind i have an aftermarket amp(diamond 4ch) installed already. Any high quality speaker requires an amp to get the full potential(sound good). I still have the stock stereo(the nav package). I have also ordered pioneer subs(TS-SW841D) that i should have by friday. From other sites they said the subs are a direct fit without modification. However now i need a second amp for the subs. Yes you can just buy and install all new speakers and subs without getting amps if you have the shaker system because they(speakers and subs) are all amlpified withe the shaker amps. However from an amp standpoint they are very very week. so try it that way first and if its not enough install an amp. You will save a lot of money if you do the speaker/sub install yourself. You will also save a lot of time and heartache if you have a pro(like best buy ect..) do the amp install. the speakers are very easy to get to in the mustang. Im kind of rambling on but I have more info if interested,
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for the info, David. Please let me know what kind of speaker is in that 6x8 spot once you have it out. It's got to be a two-way, right? I wonder if it will be something we can identify. I'd like reassurance it'll be easy to improve upon
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Apparently the 2013 with shaker already has component speakers in the doors rather than 6x8. It's already in a bracket to fit a 6x8 opening. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to the discussion on another Mustang forum
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I did a separate approach for tweeters. I have an aftermarket HU, but what I did should work, and did work, for the stock/shaker HU's.
I used MDF to create a bracket to hold a 6.5" speaker with a tweeter in the door. The 6.5 is over where the 6x8 was, and the tweeter is off to the side. I actually drilled holes in the fake grill area to make it functional and it works great so far.
Here is a pic.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

You pushed the tweater further into the corner of that grille texture piece by cutting new holes in it, right? That's a nice approach.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

That is exactly what I did. That was the drivers door in the picture, when the door is put together, you can't tell that anything is aftermarket except the hu.

Quick Reply: adding tweeters 2013