Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hi-low adapter/ speaker-line level converter HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Hi-low adapter/ speaker-line level converter HELP

So I have my sub wiring kit installed. I've just gotta hook it all up to an amp and hook the sub up to it. My only problem is installing the Hi-low adapter (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=266-005)
I haven't a clue on where to start when it comes to wiring this up. I may have an idea though. The instructions say:

The AX-ADCT2 should be installed on a stereo’s speaker
output wires or the output wires on an OEM amplifier of up to 80
watts per channel. These wires can be found behind the stereo
in the dash, on the outside of an OEM amplifier, or on the input
terminals on the OEM speakers.
Wire Color & Function: The audio input wire colors are an EIA
standard for car stereo applications as follows:
YELLOW = BATTERY +12V Input
BLACK = GROUND Input
BLUE = REMOTE +12V Output
THE ABOVE POWER WIRES CAN BE CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE AMPLIFIER BEING ADDED
WHITE = LEFT Front (+) Input
WHITE/BLACK = LEFT Front (-) Input
GRAY = RIGHT Front (+) Input
GRAY/BLACK = RIGHT Front (-) Input
BLACK/WHITE = Reference Ground (-) (REFERENCE
GROUND OPTIONAL IF NOISE IS PRESENT)
NOTE: Be sure that all audio input connections are polarized or
in phase with each other. That is, the positive output wires from
the audio source need to be connected to the corresponding
positive input wires of the AX-ADCT2. The same goes for the
negative audio wires. Failure to do this will result in poor bass
response and low quality audio.

I was thinking of wiring the white, white/black, gray, and gray/black wires here:
Name:  20130722_172942_zps21ab3713.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  70.6 KB

I just don't know how i would splice the wires in this way.
I was thinking for the other wires (battery, ground, power) ill splice them into the power sources needed by using a test light.

Do you have any advice on where these wires are to be spliced, if i am wrong? I am running a 760W Pioneer amp, with a 12inch sub and stock radio system. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by JayBeStangs94; 07-22-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
clucas

you either use the adapter you have linked to convert to the RCA level, or you can skip the adapter and run speaker wires directly into that speaker input plug, but not both. Most people run the adapter. I would recommend picking up the speaker signal from the speakers in the rear deck. Easy way to remember which is positive and which is negative is that the wire that is on the side with the clip is positive. If you do that you should be good to go as far as picking up your speaker signal. you can get the remote turn on signal from the trunk on the blue wire that is connected to the antenna. Just pull back the carpet a bit on the right hand side and you can't miss it.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

okay, so ive been really getting my head torn around this. Heres some images just so you can clarify that im doing this correctly.

Name:  20130724_142012_zps87d9c1d6.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  190.3 KB

In this image, I have the speaker input wires plugged into the hi-lo adapter. Where the yellow circle is, I splice those into the rear LR +- speakers? As well as the hi-lo adapter? Correct?
Where the brown circle is, I splice those into a power, ground, and 'on' power cable. Right?

Name:  20130724_142119_zps058f6a62.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  65.9 KB

And then the output of the hi-lo adapter leads the rca cables to the sub? Will this all work or will something blow? Am I correct?

Thanks!

(FYI, I havent hooked power up to the amp yet, if you're wondering why the other side of the amp is missing wires!)

Last edited by JayBeStangs94; 07-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
clucas

You either use the wires plugged into the amp, or the adapter, not both. If you're planning on using the adapter then unplug the plug from the amp and put it away. The white and gray wires on the adapter get connect to the rear factory speakers. That's how you get your signal.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

The input for your line out convertor comes from the rear speakers, and then the RCAs get plugged into the amp. You do not connect the LOC to the Amp in any way, except for the RCAs.

But since your amp has both high(speaker) and low(RCA) level input, you really dont need the LOC.

Use the speaker input on the amp, and tap directly into the appropriate wires coming from the rear speakers. You will not use the RCAs for this connection.

The splice connectors you are using are not the best, but they are simple and easy. Remove the tape from the rear speaker wires and use those connectors to tap into the wires a few inches from the speaker terminals. Once you have them tapped, you can wrap it all in electrical tape to help secure those connectors.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I just re-read your posts a few times. I think you actually understand it right... mostly, even though your picture is showing something wrong.
If you want to use the separate adapter, you can but you don't need to. If you do, hook up the skinny zip-tied wires, the ones you circled in yellow, to your rear speakers, but only to your rear speakers. The RCA cable then would plug into the amp, and the other wires would need to be hooked up as described.
If you want to save some time and money, sell the adapter, and hook the amp directly to the rear speakers. Because you are only using it to power a sub you won't need to worry about hooking anything else up to the speakers. In this case you would only need to get power and ground to the amp, a turn on wire form the antenna, then connect speaker wires from the amp to the sub.
Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clucas
You either use the wires plugged into the amp, or the adapter, not both. If you're planning on using the adapter then unplug the plug from the amp and put it away. The white and gray wires on the adapter get connect to the rear factory speakers. That's how you get your signal.

Originally Posted by red96v6
The input for your line out convertor comes from the rear speakers, and then the RCAs get plugged into the amp. You do not connect the LOC to the Amp in any way, except for the RCAs.

But since your amp has both high(speaker) and low(RCA) level input, you really dont need the LOC.

Use the speaker input on the amp, and tap directly into the appropriate wires coming from the rear speakers. You will not use the RCAs for this connection.

The splice connectors you are using are not the best, but they are simple and easy. Remove the tape from the rear speaker wires and use those connectors to tap into the wires a few inches from the speaker terminals. Once you have them tapped, you can wrap it all in electrical tape to help secure those connectors.

Originally Posted by ticopowell
I just re-read your posts a few times. I think you actually understand it right... mostly, even though your picture is showing something wrong.
If you want to use the separate adapter, you can but you don't need to. If you do, hook up the skinny zip-tied wires, the ones you circled in yellow, to your rear speakers, but only to your rear speakers. The RCA cable then would plug into the amp, and the other wires would need to be hooked up as described.
If you want to save some time and money, sell the adapter, and hook the amp directly to the rear speakers. Because you are only using it to power a sub you won't need to worry about hooking anything else up to the speakers. In this case you would only need to get power and ground to the amp, a turn on wire form the antenna, then connect speaker wires from the amp to the sub.
Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Everything here helped clear it up completely for me. This is definately a great learning experience. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna hook it all up tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

My only problem now is mounting the sub. In my last mustang, It moved around a little bit in the trunk. i had some metal brackets drilled into the wood on the trunk carpet to hold it in place. I'd like to figure out another mounting position; maybe place the 12 on the far right side of the trunk with the speaker facing the left side. What are some mounting techinques? I have a carpeted box that's about 14x14in.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I actually built my own sub box for my 12", it is in the right side behind the wheel well, facing the left side. I actually angled it around the wheel well to get some extra cubic feet inside. came out to just over 1 cubic foot if I remember right. perfect for my JL W3. the last car we had a "professionally built" box, but I used ratcheting straps to keep it in place lol
Here is a pic of my sub box
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ticopowell/8498637333/
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Also when using a hi/low converter with a factory sub, tap in to those wires.Most factory radios have internal crossovers and the rear speakers are a midrange signal.If the radio has a digital output(chrysler,GM,euros), a hi/low will not work
Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 AM
gtjason

Angry Flustered

I'm just wondering if i need this "line level converter" on my 01 gt. I have a Kenwood deck & I just added 2 subs & a new amp. NO SOUND!! I ran power, continuous, ground & RCA's just like any other car I've had. Power on, & nothing!! I guess I dont comprehend why i would need that converter when I should only need RCA's. HELP!!!!

Quick Reply: Hi-low adapter/ speaker-line level converter HELP