Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrading the HU in an '08, new Pioneer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Matt0925

Default Upgrading the HU in an '08, new Pioneer?

I recently purchased myself a new toy, an '08 GT500. It has the Shaker 500 in it which I would really like to upgrade to something with Nav built in. I keep hearing good things about Pioneer, so I'm likely headed down that road. I found the AVIC-X850BT, looks like they have discontinued it, at least through Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mIPho5Q...l#overview-tab), however Amazon is still selling a few, for quite a bit cheaper. It seems to have all the features that I am looking for, so I figured I might as well give it a go.

Now I have never put in a HU before, much less into a mustang, which I understand is a bit trickier. Something that was brought to my attention, not all HU's will work with the stock subs in the doors with the basic wiring harness, will that be an issue with this one? Where would I find the wiring harness that I need? Also, how about the trim kit?

The unit above does not have a USB port but one can be added, they say it needs the CD-IU201N cable in order to do so. I plan to buy it from Amazon as well (
Amazon.com: Pioneer PIONEER IPHONE4/4S FOR AVICX85 Portable TV CD-iU201N: Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer PIONEER IPHONE4/4S FOR AVICX85 Portable TV CD-iU201N: Electronics
). Does anyone know how long this cable is? I would really like to run it into the center console into the bin next to the aux plug. Speaking of Aux plug, does anyone know how it connects to the back of the shaker unit? I don't suppose it would be as easy as unplugging it from the shaker and plugging it into the Pioneer unit? Or do I need to run a new one?

Any thoughts about this unit and plan would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

The pioneers are great. There's a sticky in this thread on the install. Crutchfield would have the wiring harnesses and trim kits you need, but worst case you can go to your local Best Buy or Car Toys and buy them. The install really isnt too tricky except when you are pulling the switch off the back of the AC switch. It's gray but there's a little tab you have to press. If you dont press it, when you pull the lever too hard you'll break the tab which is not good. As far as the USB cable...you just buy the right length. You have to pull off the top part of the center console anyway so you can route the USB cable underneath the console easily when you do. The aux unit...you dont really have an aux unit do you? Unless you have an RCA jack in the center console you dont have an aux. Ive done 2 shaker 500's and one 1000 and none of those had an aux cable.

Oh yeah, you have to run the antenna for the nav. That means you will pull the cover from the a pillar and route it through the dash. It's very easy on the passenger side once you drop the glove box all the way down. That's where I'd say you should run it.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Matt0925

Thanks for the reply. I will look up the install guide, sorry I missed that one.

I was under the impression that I need a special harness for the door subs to work, Crutchfield has this one-

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RF...er-reviews-tab

But that seems very expensive for a wiring harness? Then again, I also really wouldn't be the one to know, maybe that's pretty standard?

With the USB cable, the unit I'm looking at doesn't have a USB input, it requires that specialized cable, I think it connects with a 9(?) pin connection on the back of the unit rather than a USB. Although I guess if the cable it too short I can always add an extension to it, not the end of the world there. But, just hoping to avoid that, that's why I was curious on the length.

As for the Aux, I'm not sure I follow? Both mustangs I've owned, an 07 and 08 with the 500's both had aux jacks in the center bin, the jack to plug in an ipod, mp3 player, phone or whatever? 3.5 mm I think? In any case, I looked into it some, from what I understand it is possible to use the factory wires however it is a $140 adapter. I'll just buy a new cable for $15 and be done with it. I'll have to figure out a way to make it look good in the bin, but shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Matt0925

I went ahead an order the head unit, the Pac C2R-FRD1 harness, Metra trim kit and the USB adaptor. Should all be here by the end of this week. Bit nervous to do some soldering, but shouldn't be too bad. Not looking forward to taping the VSS and headlight wires but I think I should be able to figure it out.

I guess my biggest thing now is the aux plug, does anyone know if the stock input will still work? I suspect no, but would like to confirm before I pick up a long enough line to run another.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have both tapped the VSS and not tapped the VSS... it doesn't make a difference unless you are in a tunnel, and even then it doesn't do much so I wouldn't worry about it. Next time I am not planning on finding it again. I am not sure why you would tap the headlight wires... the factory harness should have dimming wires (1 or 2, depends on the harness IIRC)
I haven't found a way to hook up the stock aux in from the center console so I can't help you there. I never used it since i have an ipod in the glove box hooked to the USB/IPOD input. My HU (in the write up in the forum) has bluetooth so I just hook my phone when I want something different.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I have done a HU install in my 13, and my previous 06 mustang so I have a little experience that might help.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have both tapped the VSS and not tapped the VSS... it doesn't make a difference unless you are in a tunnel, and even then it doesn't do much so I wouldn't worry about it. Next time I am not planning on finding it again. I am not sure why you would tap the headlight wires... the factory harness should have dimming wires (1 or 2, depends on the harness IIRC)
I haven't found a way to hook up the stock aux in from the center console so I can't help you there. I never used it since i have an ipod in the glove box hooked to the USB/IPOD input. My HU (in the write up in the forum) has bluetooth so I just hook my phone when I want something different.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I have done a HU install in my 13, and my previous 06 mustang so I have a little experience that might help. Ask questions here so everyone can see them.