Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrade to 2013 V6 base system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:39 PM
jonb2

Default Upgrade to 2013 V6 base system

Hello all,

Purchased 2013 V6 with stock radio (nonshaker) system. Since then I swapped out all 4 speakers with Pioneer 2 and 3 way and sound is definite improvement but still not there. Sound is clearer but still missing something. A couple options I am considering:

1. Swap out stock head unit for double DIN with HD radio (I listen to radio most of the time). This would require replacement of dash panel, multiple adapters for Sync , etc.

2. Add powered subwoofer to trunk.

Mostly listen at low to moderate volume levels. Any suggestions as to what option may be better?

thanks! Jon
Old 11-09-2014, 11:03 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

changing the radio won't help. the factory speaker locations are poor. where they're placed in the cabin means they can't produce any bass. you need a good subwoofer.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
changing the radio won't help. the factory speaker locations are poor. where they're placed in the cabin means they can't produce any bass. you need a good subwoofer.
I disagree... slightly.
with the HU you need to realize garbage in = garbage out.
so if you get one with HD radio capability you will get better sound out of it, some of the better ones have an auto eq function that can adjust the sound to mask some of the bad positioning and other in-car issues. But that won't solve all of your sound problems. Like jz said, you will want a subwoofer to cover the low freq's that the speakers cant reproduce.

Other thoughts that are kind of related:
If you want to keep sync and get a HU there are a few options, American Muscle has basically plug and play system with nav and a backup camera, and it integrates with sync.
Other options are the idatalink maestro kenwood system (not sure of the exact name, but search for those and you will find what I'm talking about), they are about the same difficulty as a normal stereo install to my understanding.
Either way don't forget to add a steering wheel button adapter if it isn't included already.

With a subwoofer the easiest option is to have a shop build you a box and install the sub and amp, but if you know how to build boxes out of MDF(specific type of plywood) then you can make a fairly nice box and install isn't too difficult either. Just make sure to unplug the battery while you are doing the install.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
jonb2

Thanks for all the info. Seems like at least starting with subwoofer may be the most cost efficient way to go. Did some research on the Infinity Basslink and I may end up going with that.

Installation doesn't seem too difficult--power to battery, ground, speaker level inputs. I have stock system, non-shaker. After researching and looking at installation manual, I'm a little confused on the speaker connections. If I install in right rear corner of trunk, can I connect just to one speaker (ie. right rear)? If so, do I connect to both + and - wires off that speaker?

thanks for any advice or suggestions!
Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

You only need to connect one speaker as far as I know, but I have never used the infinity basslink system. It should have fairly straightforward directions on how to hook everything up. If it has wires to connect 2 speakers then you might as well hook both up.
Yes you would hook up the negative and positive from the 2 wires going to the single speaker you are tapping in to. if you are hooking up to both then it should have labels depicting which speaker, and which + and - to hook up to.

good luck and have fun installing
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 AM
jonb2

Default Basslink Installation

Ok. thanks. I decided on trying the Infinity Basslink for now.

For those who have installed this unit, any suggestions on how to properly secure in the trunk of Mustang. Plan on installing passenger rear corner of trunk but not sure best method to securely attach the unit. I researched online but didn't find a foolproof way to attach. Any ideas?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM
jonb2

Well just finished the install of the Basslink and I think it sounds really good for a compact all-in-one unit. Connections not too difficult and ended up tapping into both rear speakers for the signal. I would say most difficult part was actually mounting the unit securely in right rear of trunk.

thanks for all the help. Jon
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Glad it works! post a pic of the install, I'm curious how you did it.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 PM
jonb2

Ok. Will try to get some pictures up in the next day or two.
So far really nice improvement in the bass. Since I listen to FM radio mostly, I added an iSimple HD radio factory add-on unit and now I can get HD radio on the factory head unit. Sounds amazing--really happy. A dedicated aftermarket HU with HD radio would have more features, but for what this unit does, definitely an improvement over the Ford radio tuner.