Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Default Mods

Just got to looking at what I wanted to do, adding to the list, need some advice (and a couple of good stock options to finance the whole darn thing).

SO far what I had planned was the FRPP convertible handling pack, axlebacks, CAI and a tune and that was IT! then I got to talking to Clark...

Anyway, along with the handling pack, and after looking at several different styles, I simply MUST have a Whiteline watts link. Also, much to my chagrin, I noticed that since the car gets lowered I will have to put on the LCA relocation brackets...which don't work with the stock LCAs so now I have to have GT500 LCAs...so I'm up to around $1500 on the suspension so far. That will come first, but then I got to looking at Jasons brakes...will they fit under GT/CS wheels? I don't want to change wheels, I like the stock ones.

So which of the CAIs are the best? I like the sound of Matt's Flowmasters (but then again I liked the sound of the Boorlas as well...) so I'll likely go with them, and I'm looking at Steeda and Airaid for the CAI's. I'll probably go with the Bama tunes, I've heard good things about their automatic tunes.

So...Comments? Opinions? Suggestions? The warranty runs out in 14K more miles...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

oooh...catbacks...

http://shop.hypermotiveperformance.c...stem-15589.htm
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

i gotta stop looking at jason's house of crack...

http://shop.hypermotiveperformance.c...Cats-16399.htm
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I would talk to someone about the suspension pieces before you throw down that sort of money on it. I know the kit is fast and easy but there might be other options that work better for less or about the same amount of $$?

Catbacks... that is so hard to answer there are so many. I love the sound of Alan and Dana Roush exhausts and even though it's a little loud for some I do like the way Johns car sounds. Jasons Bassani sounds badass from outside the car but he says that it is drones way too much inside the car. Clints car sounded sweet going down the track last weekend with the GT500's...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM
jayman33
Banned

I'll come up with something for ya. Ditch the FRPP pack. There is much better out there for that kinda money. I like air aid and JLT. I'll write down a good package for ya. What is your goals for the suspension and exhaust?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

The reason I was looking at the FRPP suspension package is that it was made for the convertible. Actually all I'm looking to do is lower it a bit, you could make it handle like a slot car and with my level of (non)skill I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But, if one day I decide to learn how to drive the darn thing (HPDE anyone?) I'd still like it to be able to exceed my skill level (not an issue at the moment).
I want to hear the exhaust from the inside with the top down, not so loud I can't hear myself think but loud enough to hear. Since I drive long distances I definitely want to avoid anything that drones. I don't want to change the headers out...yet...
*sigh* this could get expensive, couldn't it?
With the tune I'm looking mostly to tighten the auto transmission up which is why I'm looking at the Bama. Brad has the Bama on his car and from what I get from him it is exactly what I'm looking for. CAI is just an added bonus.
My goal is to make it handle and stop first (notice we haven't even gotten into discussing brakes, but we will), then I'll worry about making it go.
It will be a while before I pull the trigger on anything, gotta save up my nickels and dimes cause I don't want to have a bunch of parts laying around taunting me while I'm saving up for the next thing I need to put everything together.
Maybe what I should do is just open an account with Jason and put money in it every month...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayman33
I'll come up with something for ya. Ditch the FRPP pack. There is much better out there for that kinda money. I like air aid and JLT. I'll write down a good package for ya. What is your goals for the suspension and exhaust?
I agree with Jason. You don't need everything in the kit that Ford Racing offers, but there are a few things to consider that need changing out with the lowering like the dampers/shocks and the strut mounts.

As far as the other stuff goes, then yes...it will depend on how you want the car to feel and what you want out of it.
Personally, the sway bars are perfectly fine on the 11+ Mustangs and don't really need upgrading unless you are tracking or auto-crossing on a regular basis, although i wish they would market a better bushing kit for them.
The most important things when lowering the car is how you are affecting the lowered center of gravity of the car and how the car is balanced on center.
I've had the FRPP springs on 2 Mustangs now, they are effective for a "progressive rate" spring and i was able to get them for a good price.
The kit i pieced together for Bandit was a steal @ $800 for everything!
I'll list the parts i used for reference. Mind you, these were the parts that were recommended by SVT when we called about fitment, clearance and other differences in the 12's & 13's

M-18183-C FRPP/SVT/GT500 Strut Mounts
M-5300-K FRPP Lowering Springs
M-5570-A FRPP Jounce Kit
M-18000-A FRPP Dynamic Rate Damper kit

Tell you what Larry...i'll pay for 2 sets of laps at VIR and you can ride along (or drive) one of them and form your own opinions. I will be curious as to how the car handles, since this will be the first test for the watts link, but this may give you a good idea as to what & where you want to start or do.

Last edited by steel pony; 10-19-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Personally, I would buy the Eibach Pro Kit with lowering sprins and new struts and be done with it. That will improve the handling without killing the ride. As for relocation brackets, I think the BMR brackets will work with the stock arms, but a good set of LCAs is a good investment anyway (just stay away from the ones with the spherical ends to avoid a TON of added NVH).

I like the JLT CAIs as well, and for tuning I would recommend Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning or John Lund. I have used tunes from both of them and had great success. I have Justin's tune in my car right now actually, and it was spot on with A/F ratio and drives like a dream. They do a lot of tuning on the new 5.0s.

To stay away fom drone, keep the stock cats ( you wont pick up much HP with a high flow cat pipe). I use Dynomax UltraFlo's and they didn't drone a lot. I have heard good thing about the Borlas too.

Just my .02..... loks like the mod bug has got another one!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
looks like the mod bug has got another one!!
It's a sickness I tell ya...you get it from hanging out with these mod freaks...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I'd through in my two cents, but I think you have enough to think about. Good luck...lots of choices out there.