Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Bleeding like a stuck hog!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 05:41 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

Default Bleeding like a stuck hog!

I posted this in the 4.6 section, but figured I'd post it here too in hopes of soliciting some local responses. My pony is in the garage bleeding coolant everywhere. Only leaks when it is running. I replaced water pump... no dice. Checked hoses... no dice. It looks like it's coming from center to passenger side of the motor, dripping down from bottom of tranny and k-member. No clue what it might be. Any usual suspects? Not a slow drip either. Clint gave me a few possibles, manifold and/or mani gasket. Just curious if anyone else has any ideas before I drop it off at the mechanic's and hope for the best lol.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 PM
bravobravo
1st Gear Member

do you have access to a pressure tester and a good light?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:31 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

No on the pressure tester.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Todd isn't it loosing water immediately after the engine turns on? i.e. no pressure from heat just the water pump turning?

If so I have a trick for you. Take the belt and route it around just the water pump, then put the other end around a drill chuck and pull it tight, then use the drill to power the pump. Make sure it's going the right way. Have someone else do that while you look for the leak.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Frezze plug?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with that motor but I know my son had a Caddy once that had a small-ish hose on the intake manifold that carried coolant, hard to see but leaked like a sieve. Maybe there is a similar hose on the 4.6?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:24 AM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Todd isn't it loosing water immediately after the engine turns on? i.e. no pressure from heat just the water pump turning?

If so I have a trick for you. Take the belt and route it around just the water pump, then put the other end around a drill chuck and pull it tight, then use the drill to power the pump. Make sure it's going the right way. Have someone else do that while you look for the leak.

Correct. Dumps coolant as soon as I fire it up. I'll try the drill thing.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:57 PM
RedDrop00
2nd Gear Member

As usual, Clint shows up out of nowhere and parts start flying off my car. Found the culprit. Cracked nozzle on top of the manifold. Apparently goes to the heater I believe. It was literally broken off into pieces on the inside of the hose that connects to it. So, looks like I'll be ordering a new Ford Racing unit next week. At least I now have a perfect opportunity to slap in the new 24lb injectors I've had on my shelf since March. :-/

Big thanks to Clint for spearheading the effort... as usual lol. Nothing like having a bearded linebacker driving a Kia with a muzzleloader in the backseat show up at lunchtime to jerk parts off your car unexpectedly. I swear, you can't write stuff that good... it just has to happen lol.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Great detective work guys. Got to see that bearded linebacker in the Kia Riot with a muzzle loader in the backseat this morning. You are right, wouldn't have made that up if I tried.

Dropped off the last of the detailing supplies.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

And thanks for those supplies Alan!

Quick Reply: Bleeding like a stuck hog!