Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Questions about buying a new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking i might change it to the performance pkg. i still have a day to decide.

with the staggered tires, how do you rotate them? or perhaps you don't?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

You don't rotate, just switch sides. I would personally do the performance package and magnetic ride... but that adds quite a bit of money.

Also building of them just recently started. It will be a little wait until you get yours.

If I'm not mistaken building started October 2. Retail orders to stock dealers will go first and then custom orders. The wait will be worth it.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

yeah i was expecting mid late december.

i cant decide....making me nuts.

the summer only tires....so, when it is nasty out here, say below 40, is it advisable to drive on them? i never had summer only, so I'm not sure how bad performance will be in the jan-feb months.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Order_66
yeah i was expecting mid late december.

i cant decide....making me nuts.

the summer only tires....so, when it is nasty out here, say below 40, is it advisable to drive on them? i never had summer only, so I'm not sure how bad performance will be in the jan-feb months.
It's not advisable, but I've done it... I know some tires will crack under certain temps.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

man....so now i have to have 2 sets of tires...i could throw on some all seasons but it will be tough to sell these. wonder if the ford dealer would take them off my hands?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

man....so now i have to have 2 sets of tires...i could throw on some all seasons but it will be tough to sell these. wonder if the ford dealer would take them off my hands?
When it comes in you may be able to get them to swap for all seasons. Either way I'd probably just leave the summers. My 13 GT came with summer tires and I drove it year round on those.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Zodiac
You don't rotate, just switch sides. I would personally do the performance package and magnetic ride... but that adds quite a bit of money.

Also building of them just recently started. It will be a little wait until you get yours.

If I'm not mistaken building started October 2. Retail orders to stock dealers will go first and then custom orders. The wait will be worth it.
Can't really switch sides on summer tires either unless you dismount and remount them in the when you switch sides. Summer tires are typically directional so simply swapping side without dismounting/remounting them means the tread will be in reverse rotation. Bad for tire wear and bad for traction.

A lot of members have two sets of tires for driving their vehicle year round in regions where four seasons exist (summer and all season/winter). You should absolutely not drive summer tires in freezing temps. It will crack the compounds in the tire and ruin the tire. The cracking will look like dry rot. Some tire mfg's have disclaimers for that and also void warranty's for that type of damage. You also lose considerable traction with a summer tire in freezing temps. Its like trying to take a hard plastic wheel and gaining traction on a hard surface.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm
https://www.caranddriver.com/columns...y-no-to-winter

Etc etc...
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

i changed my order. i am now getting the performance pkg. so i need to sort the tire issue as i need all season.

the dealer cant help except to sell me new tires at cost. i called about a trade in program at discount tire and he told me to call michelin. all the pics i am seeing have michelins on the performance pkg.

so i called them and they said they would trade out via an even swap for all seasons! that was easy. they created a case for me and said to just call back once i have the car. and to keep the tire under 1000 miles and that way they will do a warranty swap.

so thats that. now, i am having trouble deciding between red and white.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

i changed my order. i am now getting the performance pkg. so i need to sort the tire issue as i need all season.

the dealer cant help except to sell me new tires at cost. i called about a trade in program at discount tire and he told me to call michelin. all the pics i am seeing have michelins on the performance pkg.

so i called them and they said they would trade out via an even swap for all seasons! that was easy. they created a case for me and said to just call back once i have the car. and to keep the tire under 1000 miles and that way they will do a warranty swap.

so thats that. now, i am having trouble deciding between red and white.
Orange Fury! Also that's great news.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

i went with magnetic grey. looks really nice with black accents like the wheels and badging and window tint.