Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

what should i expect to pay for a paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default what should i expect to pay for a paint job??

I am getting my car repainted....The car is now black and is in relatively good condition. it has no dents, has maybe a few dings. the car does look like it was painted at least once before, but each time black. I just want it to be really really nice. Body shop guy gave my car body 7 of 10..... it has a few rust spots no bigger than silver dollar. he said while painting i should get new seals, weather stripping, and other small inexpensive pieces. i want to add the shelby style hood scoop molded to my metal hood. the expensive part i want added is fender flares. I want to add sm 1" to 1 1/2" fender flares to both front and back.. Exactly like the ones George Manot "Black Fang" mustang did. If you don't know what I am talking about search his name on this site...They were fabricated out of sheet metal, so I am sure it is a good bit of work. I have heard Dupont paint was good, so i guess that brand works.....I hope that is enough info so I can get a rough estimate of what i should expect to pay for a complete paint job...I am doing this through a barter deal, so i wanted to make sure they were quoting me a fair price.....if you need any more info just ask....my car is a 65 couope
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

A really nice paint job would mean that you want a base coat, clear coat and then have it cut and polished.

Since the largest cost element of the work you want done is labor, you could really have a wide range of estimates. This will mean you have a lot of homework to do; who can give you the job you want for the price you want to pay.

When I painted my car, specifying the above, with stripes and some pretty tricky body work to reshape a rear fender, I had estimates of $5K - $15K. I ended up going with the $5K guy, after seeing 4 of the cars that he did and talking with the owners. The guy's shop was in the middle of nowhere, his equipment junk, he seemed to always be running short on $, he took a long time, but his work was incredible , the price was outstanding and the car turned out fantastic.

I got the paint job I wanted, at a price that was below market. I did my homework and put a lot of effort, to make sure everything turned out good. I also provided all the new seals and gaskets and then added some things along the way, like installing a new headliner, etc, which added a little more to the bill.

Keep in mind I'm in CA and the prices here reflect all the regulations, taxes, insurance and stupid fees for everything. Perhaps you could do better in your part of the US.

Good luck.

Car in "paint booth", which was plastic sheeting and pvc.

The car was wet sanded and then polished for about 50 hours.

Car with the pieces being put back on.

Finished car

Last edited by GT350R Klone; 08-25-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Why did they paint the blue before the white? I'm getting close to my paint job, going with a 3 stage paint system (red) but want to also have the stripes in white. Been going back and forth on which I should paint first, was thinking color since I'll probably have 2 - 3 coats of bast plus 1 - 6 coats of mid before the clear. I still need to shoot the test panel so I'm not 100% sure on the number of coats yet. I was worried I'd have too much build on the edge of the stripe if I painted it first.

As far as the original poster, you really need to decide on a budget then take things from there. You can spend a lot depending on what you're looking for. I picked up my paint last night and spent over $2k just on material. Not the highest priced system out there but it wasn't the cheapest either.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Mr. V,

It was the painter's decision to do the stripe color then mask it. Not sure it really makes much of a difference, however I do know that the transition to/from the stripe on my car is hardly noticable to the touch, which makes waxing the car a breeze. Be sure to do tapered stripes! I've seen really nice paint jobs that look terrible (IMO) because they were painted with non-tapered stripes.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT350R Klone
Mr. V,

It was the painter's decision to do the stripe color then mask it. Not sure it really makes much of a difference, however I do know that the transition to/from the stripe on my car is hardly noticable to the touch, which makes waxing the car a breeze. Be sure to do tapered stripes! I've seen really nice paint jobs that look terrible (IMO) because they were painted with non-tapered stripes.
I was going to use this for measurements.

http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/Lemans_stripes.htm
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

Mr. V,

Perfect. Be sure to post pics.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT350R Klone
Mr. V,

Perfect. Be sure to post pics.
I have to start a thread. Heading home from work early today so I can start shooting the test panel. Going to shoot it like I'm going to shoot the car, starting with the white stripes.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

"Paint job" can mean a lot of things...

An example would be those small rust spots of yours. Will this require metal work?

Is a good paint job an Earl Sheib job, door dings and all, "with urethane" added?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM
crunchytator
1st Gear Member

Thats the same measurements i used on mine. the only thing i added were two small pinstrites on the out side of each wide stripe.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2010, 03:49 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

wow.....guess i need to start another thread since this was hijacked..........thanks..............

Quick Reply: what should i expect to pay for a paint job??