Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Couple pics Of the Shaker Scoop!!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Your have given me new hope for ever getting a shaker to fit on my Air Gap.

So you basically built a box to sit the filter into with the proper size hole to fit the carb main body and then made it the right height to mate up to the hood for the intake that you have?

I am impressed. I have thought for years about how to cut up a stock air box to work with my tall intake. I never thought about going the square filter route.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:52 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Yeah that was actually the third true design... We started with two circles before square came to mind... We had some crazy first scrap jobs... To be honest it was almost crazy how it all just kind of fit after we went square even the height just seemed to work... I mean we are running an air gap as well.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i can't believe you just got the cutter to it and it went so well. respect :-) I would have searched for 2nd hand hood prices before taking the wheel to it. again! very well done
Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Your have given me new hope for ever getting a shaker to fit on my Air Gap.

So you basically built a box to sit the filter into with the proper size hole to fit the carb main body and then made it the right height to mate up to the hood for the intake that you have?

I am impressed. I have thought for years about how to cut up a stock air box to work with my tall intake. I never thought about going the square filter route.
That is exactly what we did, we made two round flanges for the carb mount, one inside the other for height adjustment and "fine tuning", and basically a few pieces of metal bent to hold the filter, form a small air box, pieces to hold the seal, etc. The only other thing needed was to form up a couple of simple braces to support the front. Once we got our head around it it was super easy.

The filter we used fits something like a 2002 -2007 Chevy truck, the K&N version worked better than the stock filter because of its low profile. This filter seems to be the perfect size for this project.

We used a shear and a brake, but it could be done with a welder with a little more effort.

Since we have an Air gap in the 66, something like this would work in your car easier than Jim's, you have a little more room to play with.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i can't believe you just got the cutter to it and it went so well. respect :-) I would have searched for 2nd hand hood prices before taking the wheel to it. again! very well done
LOL,,, I knew unless I screwed it up really, really bad I could weld it up and repair it, this provided me with enough peace of mind to keep a steady hand, I was thrilled at how well it came out, I honestly doubt I could ever do that well again if I did it a hundred times.. (that is truth there!)

I was actually shocked at the thickness of the stock hood, there is some real steel there! Those times are gone, gone , gone....
Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Demodiver

Here is my problem, do you think your solution would work?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

It would have to build the box as a drop down and it would be a pretty tall scoop! my carb sits under the hood
Old 01-06-2020, 09:40 AM
64RePete

Originally Posted by 66JameStang
I love the way this changed the whole dynamic of the Stang! I could not have asked for anything more then what it is!

Just saw this while searching for info on 66 with a shaker. I'm planning out doing this to my 66 with a 94 Cobra motor. Any advice, tricks or problems you had?
Thx