Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Stangthetang

Default Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback

Hi guys,

I put my deposit for a 1965 mustang fastback. I need help in determining if this is a good buy I should go through with. I attached pictures of underneath the car and exterior. Let me know if you see any major issues I should be worried about like rust and etc.

Please help to let me know if this is a decent deal or not.

Purchase Price: $31,000
Engine 302 4 Barrel Carb
Jet Black. Good Chrome.
Radial Tires.
Dual Exhaust.
C4 Automatic Transmission
Front Disc Brakes

Still have to send an inspector to check the car out for leaks and what not. What are some major issues you will notice on a 65 fastback that I should be concerned about?

Thank you for any help and comments you provide.
Attached Thumbnails Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang1.png   Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang2.png   Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang3.png   Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang4.png   Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang5.png  

Put deposit 1965 Mustang Fastback-tang6.png  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

If it's in good shape, & you take care of it, it won't depreciate like current ones;
Rust is the biggest challenge;
lots of parts if you need;
looks awesome & will be a head-turner every time you drive it;
looks great to me :-)
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Stangthetang

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
If it's in good shape, & you take care of it, it won't depreciate like current ones;
Rust is the biggest challenge;
lots of parts if you need;
looks awesome & will be a head-turner every time you drive it;
looks great to me :-)

Thanks GravyDog. When you say rust is the biggest challenge. Does that mean when you looked underneath the car in the photos it was rusty? What you think on the $31,000 price I am paying? If I decide to sell it in 2 or 3 years it will hold value?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Very nice. It appears to be all there but at $31k I'd expect a bit more cleanliness and less Bedliner coating on everything. I'm a stickler for cost though. I highly doubt they'll let you truly inspect everything you need to in order to insure you're getting more car for your money than hidden troubles.
Have him inspect the Tq boxes and Trunk for rust. Also under the fuel door is a common place for gobs of bondo to be placed. Check to make sure the inner fenders/aprons are straight along with the core support being fully intact.

I think these things are more important than even a healthy motor. If those things are bad then after paying full market value for the car, you have to tear it down, replace sheet metal and then repaint. Drive-train is easy compared to those things.

Good luck, I hope it works out, it sure is a pretty car. I hope your intent would be to keep it a drivers car.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I personally think it's a bit high, but I'm admittedly out of touch with the market. Still, I'd think that it would be a lot cleaner for that price. Or maybe a bit more rare, like a pony interior 4sp.

Also, I try to never look at cars as investments. That rarely works out.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

With everything painted black or coated in bed liner like it is, I'd be extra wary. Often times that's the first sign of somebody putting lipstick on a pig.

The first thing that caught my eye was the cowl seam under the hood. It would be really interesting to see how bad that cowl does leak, which I'm sure it does. Will the guy let you run a garden hose over the cowl and see how badly it leaks? Maybe it's the picture but that looked suspect to me.

The floor pans have been patched, which isn't necessarily a deal killer but I'd be willing to bet that isn't the only place that needed structural attention / glossing over.

Check the inner fender wells when you pop the trunk open. Often times if a car has taken a shot, the inners won't be replaced so any distortions will be easy to spot. Look along the bottom of the doors and check the inside of the lower rear fenders for rust / rust repair. You also want to look at the radiator support area for any distortions. You want everything to be straight and symmetrical.

+1 on not buying this thing for an investment. It isn't a perfect car but he isn't asking a perfect price but still, 30k is a lot of money. Buy it for the enjoyment & nostalgia but not as a 401k supplement. The best way to end up with a 30k car is to put 40k into it.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Sounds a little high priced to me.

If it were me I'd buy a new one.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

$31k sounds high, but that depends on lots of factors..
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Do not buy this car sight unseen. You really should have someone check it out for you, not just some insurance adjuster. Where is it located? I would be willing to check it out and give my opinion on it, as well as a few others on this forum. I agree with everything fastbackford351 said.

It seems too pricey in my opinion. Any pics of the interior or doors?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Shoot me a PM and Ill get your number.