Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

upgrade advice for my 64-1/2 with poor handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:33 PM
cm409

Default upgrade advice for my 64-1/2 with poor handling

hello
i recently inherited a 64-1/2 6 cyl. 3 speed convertible from my neighbor.
she purchased the car new in 64 and although it was used as her "every day" car for the first 20 years its still a great survivor as it was garaged all its life.
its all original with 90k miles and had some minor rust fixed and a repaint in the 80's.
Ive been a Chevy guy and dont know much about mustangs so any information will be most appreciated.

car issues....
the car brakes like a lead sled and the steering is loose jittery and "squirrel like"
in such condition i am not comfortable driving it on a highway. i put on new tires but that did not improve the handling much.
i have considered upgrading the front end and adding power steering and brakes to improve the driving experience.

my questions..
1)will upgrading with with power steering and brakes diminish its value
2)where is the best place to to buy a power steering and brake upgrade kit, not looking to cheap out, i would prefer reasonable quality.
3)where was the build sheet typically located
4)is there a website that can decode the vin#
5)who is a reputable vendor for parts

please feel free to offer any advice or opinions.
thanks

Old 11-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Gun Jam

1) probably not if you use OEM parts or OEM type parts.
2) NPD has always done well by me and they offer a good line parts
3) Under seats I hear also under the dash.
4)?
5)NPD...National Parts Depot. Also CJ pony parts.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Aren't 2 and 5 the same question?

VIN decoding will show it as a 1965, because that's what it is.

What are the differences in SAID '64 1/2 -vs- later '65? Remember, SAID '64 1/2, coined
by enthusiasts, not by Ford.

Differences:
A generator charging system came with the ’64-1/2-specific lineup of engines. It used a
large voltage regulator with separate terminals.

Eaton power steering pumps were a ’64-1/2 item. Some had an integral reservoir, and
some had an external reservoir mounted on the inner fender apron.

Some, but not all, ’64-1/2 V-8 engines had cast-iron water pump pulley.
Most ’64-1/2 V-8 engines had Autolite distributors with an oil wick.
Hood hinges were painted black on ’641/2 Mustangs.
Horns in the ’64-1/2 are hidden inside the engine compartment, they were bigger.
Most, but not all, ’64-1/2 Mustangs had an “A” in the vent ****.
You had a slotted spare tire hold-down on the ’64-1/2, went to "J" hook in '65...

All ’64-1/2 Mustangs had battery cooling vents (louvers), due to the generator charging
system that had the batteries run hotter.

All ’64-1/2 Mustangs had the brake light switch screwed right into the master cylinder, a pressure switch.

Here's the truth:
There are no '64-1/2 Mustangs at all; that title was coined by enthusiasts. The '64-1/2 Mustang is simply an
early-production unit for '65, without the refinements that came later; and another thing, Ford never built a production
'64-1/2 Mustang fastback.

When the Mustang entered production early in March 1964, I read that it didn't have the refinements it would have
later on; and called it a reskinned Falcon with bucket seats. To be a "'64-1/2" at all, the Mustang has to be
factory-equipped with a generator charging system, a 170ci six (U-code), a 260 2V (F-code), or a 289 4V (D-code)
low-compression, large horns mounted down on the frame behind the radiator, a brake light pressure switch on the
master cylinder, a center "off" heater fan switch, and a generator charge light, just to name the basics. These are
features exclusive to Mustangs built between early March and July 31, 1964 for 1965 (scheduled build date code only).
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Default '65 MUSTANG ID INFO

Originally Posted by cm409
hello

4)is there a website that can decode the vin#
please feel free to offer any advice or opinions...............thanks
I ordered my '65 brand new in August, 1964 from Murphy Motors in Cicero, Illinois. I ordered the High Performance Package, which made it a "K" car. It's S/N was 5F 07K 284486.

I happen to have the Ford 1965 Shop Manual. The info you need should be below. Hope this is of value to you. imp
EDIT: Please be aware, the Shop Manual covers Mustang, Comet, Fairlane, and Falcon; look carefully.

Last edited by imp; 11-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Aren't 2 and 5 the same question?

VIN decoding will show it as a 1965, because that's what it is.

What are the differences in SAID '64 1/2 -vs- later '65? Remember, SAID '64 1/2, coined
by enthusiasts, not by Ford.

Differences:
A generator charging system came with the ’64-1/2-specific lineup of engines. It used a
large voltage regulator with separate terminals.

Eaton power steering pumps were a ’64-1/2 item. Some had an integral reservoir, and
some had an external reservoir mounted on the inner fender apron.

Some, but not all, ’64-1/2 V-8 engines had cast-iron water pump pulley.
Most ’64-1/2 V-8 engines had Autolite distributors with an oil wick.
Hood hinges were painted black on ’641/2 Mustangs.
Horns in the ’64-1/2 are hidden inside the engine compartment, they were bigger.
Most, but not all, ’64-1/2 Mustangs had an “A” in the vent ****.
You had a slotted spare tire hold-down on the ’64-1/2, went to "J" hook in '65...

All ’64-1/2 Mustangs had battery cooling vents (louvers), due to the generator charging
system that had the batteries run hotter.

All ’64-1/2 Mustangs had the brake light switch screwed right into the master cylinder, a pressure switch.

Here's the truth:
There are no '64-1/2 Mustangs at all; that title was coined by enthusiasts. The '64-1/2 Mustang is simply an
early-production unit for '65, without the refinements that came later; and another thing, Ford never built a production
'64-1/2 Mustang fastback.

When the Mustang entered production early in March 1964, I read that it didn't have the refinements it would have
later on; and called it a reskinned Falcon with bucket seats. To be a "'64-1/2" at all, the Mustang has to be
factory-equipped with a generator charging system, a 170ci six (U-code), a 260 2V (F-code), or a 289 4V (D-code)
low-compression, large horns mounted down on the frame behind the radiator, a brake light pressure switch on the
master cylinder, a center "off" heater fan switch, and a generator charge light, just to name the basics. These are
features exclusive to Mustangs built between early March and July 31, 1964 for 1965 (scheduled build date code only).
you forgot to mention that 64's also had different arm rest bases, door sill plates, hood (except for around the first 100 which had the 65/66 style hood), headlight buckets and carpet, but none of this info answers the ops questions.

i had the first known 65 mustang fastback and it had all 64 1/2 parts on it except for the core support and generator.

Last edited by barnett468; 11-17-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

there are no build sheets on 65 and 66 cars.

wilwood is one brand for an option for brakes.

your steering is probably squirrely because the components are worn including the steering box. you can adjust the box. i would NOT put p/s on a 6 cylinder.

adding ps or disc brakes etc will only increase the value unless it was built the first week of production or something like that.

stiffer springs, bigger sway bar, decent shocks and low profile tires will greatly improve the handling

mustang vin decoder
http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM
cm409

Thank you all for the great information

is there anything to be said about a disc brake upgrade or steering upgrade interfering with items in the engine compartment such as the existing clutch linkage etc.
Being that my Mustang is an in line 6 with a three speed on the floor the rep at CJ pony parts mentioned something About certain upgrades interfering with existing items in the engine compartment.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:53 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cm409
Thank you all for the great information

is there anything to be said about a disc brake upgrade or steering upgrade interfering with items in the engine compartment such as the existing clutch linkage etc.
Being that my Mustang is an in line 6 with a three speed on the floor the rep at CJ pony parts mentioned something About certain upgrades interfering with existing items in the engine compartment.
disc brakes or a power brake booster or stock power steering will not interfere with the linkage.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:24 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
adding ps or disc brakes etc will only increase the value unless it was built the first week of production or something like that.

stiffer springs, bigger sway bar, decent shocks and low profile tires will greatly improve the handling
I agree with all of this. We did the shocks, bigger sway bars, ps, disc brakes, lowered it and used larger wheels on my 66 coupe. It made an incredible difference in the handling. We got most components from John's Mustang in Houston, TX

Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by barnett468

your steering is probably squirrely because the components are worn including the steering box. you can adjust the box. i would NOT put p/s on a 6 cylinder.
Not going to hurt it putting power steering on it.

Quick Reply: upgrade advice for my 64-1/2 with poor handling