Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

The Dreaded Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 01:19 PM
asphaltburner

Oct. 2, to Jan 9,...14 weeks - that's how long it takes to get a headliner from Distinctive Industries (and I would guess that TMI is taking a similar period of time!).
Anyway, it showed up this morning (complete with a small hole in the box), undamaged, and it is the proper color. FINALLY, I have the correct thing in hand!
They say that good things come to those who wait,...but the wait was so long that I am unable to do anything with the thing! Our high on Sunday will be 9 F, with a low of -10,...It is now stored upstairs, with the window seals. I'll watch for an opportunity,...
I've 'feathered the edges of the lap-weld on the tops of the rear fenders, and have the contour just about proper, using polyesther metal-glaze.
I'll call my body/frame guy about pulling the rear panel deformity soon, and communicate with American Steel about pass. fender 're-do', to be done at nearly the same time,...
Slow, this time of the year, but there's more to come soon!
Happy New Year - I sure hope that it's a GOOD one!
Old 01-10-2024, 03:18 PM
Mostang66
1st Gear Member

That car is lucky to have you.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:57 AM
asphaltburner

Actually, Mostang66, I am lucky to have this car! Bought it in 1990 for $1200,...drove it 40 miles to get it home. It began the regular commute to work (40 miles/day), in just two weeks, without spending a cent. Got it off the road after about five years, when I got my '66 Mustang on the road, and it took over the commute responsibilities.
Just received my new 'Scott Drake' SMB-D manual steering box replacement and new 'rag-joint' - the only guy that I knew of that REBUILT boxes quit, years ago. I will replace when I install the replacement Hooker Competition headers that I bought recently. I'm going to increase the present size of my ol', worn 2" exhaust, to 2 1/4", as I replace it - that should be more appropriate for this setup.
Nasty cold, here, for the last week - got to -27, the night before last,...yipes!
All, stay warm!
Old 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Mark Hone
1st Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to show us how the work is progressing. Waiting for parts is a pain but all is forgiven when the “correct” part does come. Your doing good work and we look forward to the finished product.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:27 PM
asphaltburner

Yay! Colorado weather! The jet stream blessed us by moving north, after a REAL blast of nasty cold,...
We just completed five days of ~60 F weather. I jumped on the opportunity to enclose the Mustang's interior, since it would be spring, if I waited. We got 'er done,...
Because of some design differences (my stock rear bow hooks were FAR too long for the headliner design), the front half of the Mustang headliner took all of Monday. Tuesday, we installed the new windshield (roped-in dry - sealant afterwards), Wednesday, I finished the rear of the headliner, and yesterday, we re-installed the rear glass (roped-in after a bead of sealant placed on 'flanged' edge of gasket - final sealant to be applied later).
I'm tired and sore - more intense work than I have done since I retired from the operating rooms! But I've got plenty of time to relax, since a cold front has moved in for the next couple of days. New carpet is out of the box, and 'relaxing' on the hood of the car, now,...
I got some quick pics yesterday afternoon:

I'll post a pic of the headliner, once I have the associated interior trim pieces in place - that is next.
Thank you, everyone, for reading,...I really hope that my experiences might help someone else with their car. No one should be "re-inventing the wheel", at THIS point!
Since the 'dreaded sunroof' is gone, I was thinking of starting a new thread ("8R01C116632") to continue as kind of a 'build thread' for this car. Good idea, or not?
Thanks, all.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 02-11-2024 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:02 PM
asphaltburner

8R01C116632 update,...
Interior is done,...I'd guess everyone has seen pics of that stuff before - mine is just two-tone green. And I haven't had it outside much (to get pics) - it's been inside, being worked on whenever I've had the time.
Front floors got two coats of POR15. Rear floors looked like they did when they came out of the factory.
Entire floor area got 1/2" foil-backed fabric and new black carpet. Re-installed my old seats (I re-upholstered in 2005) and like-new 1968 belts. Re-installed the new Kenwood 4ch stereo (iPod capable) with Monster Wire to the rear triaxial Blaupunkt 6x9s and front triaxial JVC 6" 'rounds', in a box over the tranny hump.
I just finished wet-sanding the trunk and hood - long, slow process,...and easy to 'break through', if you're not ultra careful. I've gotten faster as I've learned,...Fenders will come off (again) for this process - doors will be tougher. Lots of beautiful factory Lime Gold paint under that crappy, oxidized dark green!

Any new parts I will need for re-assembly are here and packed away, for the moment. I've begun cleaning and prepping my paint shop for the chore in August/September - it has new 4" LED lights that I just installed,...!
I bought the proper Ford 1968 "Highland Green" paint, per the code. Damned expensive, to say the least.
Like I said,...busy. More soon.
Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 05-27-2024 at 08:25 AM.