Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Intake manifolds/carbs....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:46 PM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake manifolds/carbs....

I just have a quick question.... dose anybody make spread bore intake manifolds for fords? Ive been looking around and all the main people (holly, edlelbrock, etc) only seem to make them for Chevy.... I would like to go with the spread bore to help gas mileage if possible but if square bore is the only thing that is going to work then that's fine....

If I used a square bore intake and a spread bore carb and put a adapter plate in between them would that work or would that be pointless?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:18 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake manifolds/carbs....

I did some more research and I cant find a spread bore intake for my car (66, 289) anywhere.... so then my question would be would it be pointless to get a spread bore carb and an adapter plate?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:57 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

QuadraJets and Thermoquads werent available for the small block fords, and only one big block had a Qjet. GM owns Rochester carbs and they make Q jets. An adapter plate would work, but also you could open up an intake with a die grinder and drill new mounting holes for it.

A properly set up Qjet does get great mileage, but it wont be an easy swap to a Ford. Also due to the incredible amount of adjustability, they are somewhat more involved to tune. If you are serious about it, check with Cliff Ruggles, he is one of the premier Qjet gurus. Here is his website. He will guide you straight. http://www.cliffsqjet.com/
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

alright thanks, ill check it out but I don't know if I want to go through that much because I plan on getting a 30mpg economy crap car so I can park my stang and do a complete and quality job fixing it up so gas mileage is not going to be an issue for much longer so ill probably just stick with something that isn't going to require fabricating new parts.... If needed I can always unhook the secondaries so I wont be tempted to step on it.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:29 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Yeah I had to get an economy car too, I decided I would get an LS1 powered F body...lol. It gets 30 on the highway and runs 13's so it fits my criteria. A small car or truck would work too tho... just posting nearly useless info..
The economy was a bonus really, I needed something reliable since all of my old stuff was down with either transmission work or major repairs and I needed to get home on leave.

The Qjet is an interesting idea, I was going to put two of them on a dual quad manifold I have for 289/302s quite a few years back. I decided against it, I'll just get the right carbs for it. The do get alot better mileage than a holley. Have you looked into a Demon carb? I like the ones I have, they are double pumpers on large engines so economy isnt a concern really, but they do run quite well.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 AM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

ive seen them but I thought they were mainly major cfm carbs so I never really looked at them... the engine im currently working on is a 289 and I doubt ill need much more than a 600 cfm carb with how far I plan on taking this engine but I have a 455olds sitting around that I would like to get some major power out of some time down the road when I find a car for it so ill defiantly keep this info in mind.
Don't laugh to hard but Ive been looking in to getting a Geo metro because with a manual trans they have been rated at 40mpg city and about 45 highway... if I don't get that I kinda like the look of the Toyota Tacoma's
Old 03-17-2006, 01:55 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

When you want to build the Olds, PM me and we will get you started to making over 500hp/tq on pump gas...
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
KBunny
2nd Gear Member

alright cool thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

only the 429 and 351C had a spread bore on a Mustang
Old 03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The Edelbrock Performer RPM 460 will accept either a square or spread bore carb. Talking about economy cars, I have been reading about the new to come Toyota Yaris. Take a read. Sounds like the wave of the near future. http://www.toyota.com/
On edit: Isn't, or wasn't the Geo just a cheap Toyota in Chevy clothing?

Quick Reply: Intake manifolds/carbs....